Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Work In Progress

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share my progress with you. As of this morning, I have lost 11 pounds. Yea me! Yes, I must brag because I absolutely hate exercising. Since January 4, 2010, I have faithfully dragged myself out of my warm, comfy bed and got myself moving. My goal was that I'd complete 30 minutes of exercise at least five days each week. We are all painfully aware that in order to lose weight, you have to exert more calories than you digest. I have cut out the calorie laden drinks and water has become my beverage of choice. That is huge and believe me I miss Pepsi, sweet tea, and kool-aid. I also love ice cream...who knew that the Skinny Cow products actually taste good and they are only 150 calories. Honestly, I haven't made many food adjustments, I have pretty good eating habits. Minor adjustments such as more vegetables, no seconds, and smaller portions have helped. Also, no mindless snacking(so long Utz potato chips, and Edy's ice cream). Remember, I love food so I do allow myself a twice weekly indiscretion!

It only took me two days to realize that the treadmill and I were no longer friends. Our first name basis friendship was over before I could get started. It was BORING! For me, boredom deflates my motivation. So in order to not sabotage my efforts before I they could become habit-forming (that takes 21 days for those of you who don't know), I had to find another exercise solution. I like walking but it needs to be outdoors so I that the scenery is constantly changing. Well right now it's too cold. I am now doing a cardio workout on Wii, courtesy of Gold's Gym. I am enjoying the shape boxing. To add variance to the work out, I have incorporated Wii Fit's step aerobic, yoga, and strength exercise to my routine. I am not bored and my son gets up about 45 minutes earlier than he has to to cheer me on. I am doing a minimum of 30 minutes and some days, I get to an hour. I am gonna borrow my sister's Wii Active...she's kicking it to the curb for P90X. I am going to try the challenge. Pray for me! I would love to find an economical Zumba class, I hear it is all the rage.

I have begun this journey and it is progressing. My only advice is to encourage your children to be active. I wish I was into exercising at a much younger age. While life does begin at 40, it certainly should not be the age at which one decides to become physically fit. Do NOT interpret this as you should not begin, because you have to begin somewhere. What I am saying is this, 40 is a little tardy for the exercise party and it is hard. Regardless, it is worth it for your heart and your sanity. I feel proud every time I complete a work out and I am more focused throughout the day. When I look in the mirror, I see a pleasingly plump sexy DIVA who has NO health issues. Despite that, I know that my body is a temple and God requires me to take care of it. We only get one body and it has to last us a lifetime. Knowing that I have good genes and may live to a ripe old age(my grandma is 95), I needed to get serious quickly. We take of our nails, hair, and skin so it makes sense to care for the temple. I think my goal to be about 50 pounds lighter at the end of the year is attainable and my approach is realistic. When I feel weak, I say a really simple prayer and move forward.

I hope you are progressing toward the goals you set for yourself at the beginning of the year. It is not too late to start. If you have already forgotten the pursuit, I challenge you to refocus and begin again. Sunday is a good day to start! I'm just saying, you can start the new week AND the month of February with a small goal that you purpose to work toward each day. You will be surprised at the accomplishment of simply taking one day/one step at a time. Before you know it, you have beyond your initial expectation. Till next time, God bless and be safe!

Copyright January 28, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. YAYYYYYYY that is really great! I have recommitted myself to my exercise. I felt WONDERFUL when I did it on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete