Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Joy is Internal

Did you know that God commands us to count the good, the bad, and the ugly that we experience in life as joy? Well, He did and He stated it pretty clearly so that we can learn patience. James 1:2-3 states, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."(NKJV) That's something, isn't it? All means all.

I don't know about you but sometimes that is a really difficult pill to swallow. I mean it is easy to count the good as joy but when life is dealing you a crappy hand how the heck are you supposed to count that as joy? I am a pretty upbeat person but every blue moon, even I want to bury my head in the sand and tantrum at the wrongs in my life. Today, as I whined and complained about a situation that I'm dealing with, my very good friend Rose kept reminding me that we who are saved are not supposed to handle life's ills in our own strength. She kept reminding me that God has given us the Holy Spirit to enable us to do what seems impossible for us.

She is right and I needed that gentle reminder that God has equipped us with all we need to survive. Also, He is trying to produce something in us. Patience is a virtue and it is one that I also struggle with. The older I get, the more I realize that most people are seriously lacking in the area of patience. We try to complete people's thoughts when they don't explain something fast enough, we repeatedly push the elevator buttons like that will make it come faster. We are all in a rush like our life is so important. Really, we lack patience. Achieving patience will perfect and complete us(James 1:4). We all know that we are NEVER going to be perfect, so patience will always be an area that we are tested in and constantly having to mature in.

Wouldn't it actually be sweet if we did really put the verse into practice? Life might be so much more pleasant. Our perspective would be positive and so would our interactions. We would all see the glass half full rather than half empty. We would tackle our problems with relish and gusto. We'd whine less and praise more. Honestly, it is easier to praise when things are going well but it is a testimony when we praise God through our heartache and pain. So I am issuing a challenge.....try to purpose in your heart to be joyful even though you really want to moan and groan. You might just bless yourself and someone else in the process. You will grow your patience in the process too. Yep, that's it, count it ALL joy, even the pain. Till we meet again, be joyous!

Copyright January 13, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment: