Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Sacrificial Lamb

It is two weeks into 2010 and I feel pretty good. I am resolute about making some changes. I gotta stay positive to make them happen.....a little focus and determination coupled with less procrastination should serve me well. Like most people, I am fairly optimistic about the year ahead. For me, optimism remains a constant throughout the year. What is difficult for me is being obedient to the point of sacrifice. Currently I am studying the book of Genesis in a Community Bible Study. It is a great study! Yes, the stories are familiar but the nuggets of wisdom are very thought provoking.



Recently, we studied about Abraham being commanded to sacrifice Isaac, his promised child, for the Lord. Well that lesson got me to thinking really hard. Could I do what Abraham did? I really don't know. It is that confusion that led me to think about what blessings that I might have missed because of my lack of sacrifice. God may ask us to give up small things because He has something so much better in store for us. How often do we miss the blessing because we like what we have or we are not willing to have the faith to get rid of it so that God can give us something new and greater?



We are guilty of blocking our own blessings. God's will is always going to prevail but we may miss being taken to a higher level of relationship, praise, and worship because of our inability to trust God with what we consider most precious to us. Wouldn't it be a tragedy to find out that we held on to, say a house, when God told us to move, only to find out that he had several mansions or an island for us in return.



Our sacrifice is really not for God. Everything already belongs to Him. He wants our faithful hearts. He wants to know that we love Him and trust Him to have our best interests at heart. He wants to know that whatever we love the most has not become our idol. An idol is anything that we love more than the Lord. So my dear readers, what are you holding on to? What do you treasure most? If God asked you tomorrow, what would your answer be? "Here Lord, take it, I know whatever You have for me has to be better than this." Or will it be, "No Lord, I love you but I need/can't_____________(you fill in the blank)." It is something to think about.



Now Abraham actually got to talk directly to God. God continued to bless Abraham even though he messed up and messed up often. God will do the same thing for us. We have to be willing to let go because when it comes to God, a bird in the hand is not necessarily better than two in the bush. Please don't confuse me as saying that the blessings will necessarily be material. Sometimes, they might but often, they might not. You never can predict what God will do, but whatever it is, it's His business. Whatever His Business is, He set that plan in motion a long long time ago. This, I know, God is in the blessing business and all that He requires of us, is our obedience, even if it means we have to make a monumental sacrifice. So I challenge you(and myself) to be willing to let go of whatever you treasure so that God can bless your socks off. It will not e easy but it will be one of the best decisions you could ever make. Let me know your thoughts, it's real deep when you really really think about it. Could you do it, even if it made no sense to you? Would you trust God enough with your prized possession? Inquiring minds really do want to know........Til next time.....God bless!



Copyright January 19, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment