Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween


So this is a rather random post. Halloween brought out all the ghosts, goblins, and spooks. My kids have collected enough candy to feed a small nation and rot the teeth of everyone living in it. My neighborhood does Halloween pretty big so imagine what Christmas is like. (SMH) Now we all know Halloween is really for our children. Check this bull crap out.....My hubby, as usual, was left at home to distribute what would end up being not enough candy. Of course, I bought enough to feed a small army. He's a six foot African American man(who I left on the porch steps with a huge bowl of various kinds of candy) who is not thugged out, is very clean shaven. Anyhoo, I digress. He relayed to me that there were several individualswho would not allow their children to "trick or treat" from him. One was a man whose child was dressed as a Confederate soldier. Let's just say that we reside in a homogenous neighborhood with little color. Come on folks, how ignorant can you be? I was appalled to say the least. Reality check: Obama in the white house doesn't mean we've put aside our racist notions. Of course, I knew this, but come on, it's candy. Acceptance and tolerance are taught and learned in the home. Be careful what you teach your children.

Copyright November 2, 2009 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. We are adults thus we know what to expect, however it is so hurtful to me to see what people impress upon and teach their children. It's a shame that we teach our children to love and respect everyone but at the same time you have to admonish them to thicken their skin so as not to become scathed by the ignorance of others. Our creator wasn't partial when he created us to be and look different. Why people don't get that is so beyond my thinking capacity. I'm just glad your kids didn't have to witness that foolishness first hand.

    ReplyDelete