Wednesday, November 25, 2009

THANKSGIVING

This really is my favorite season. From the time the leaves begin to fall till we ring in the New Year, I just feel very grateful and pretty happy. I love watching people prepare for the holidays. In fact, I love everything about it. Yet it is important not to lose sight of the true meaning of the season. For me, I am constantly reminded of how blessed my life truly is, even on my worst day. Like most people, I feel more charitable and I enjoy finding the perfect gift for those I love.

I am so thankful that I learned that there was a difference between going to church and having a relationship with the Lord. Prayer brings peace and joy. The bumps still occur and often they are painful, but I am rooted in the fact that God really has orchestrated everything for our benefit. (Romans 8:28)


I am thankful for a wonderful family and many awesome friends. My mom and my grandmother have always represented strength and perseverance. They are my sheroes. I have a husband who puts up with me and my many quirks. He tries to gracefully handle the fact that I am an extrovert and he clearly is not. I am thankful for my children who challenge me and crack me up. They are a constant reminder that you shouldn't sweat the small stuff. My friends are a varied bunch...they are talented, sensitive, thoughtful and any and everything between. All of the people in my life make me a better person.

I am thankful for a blessed life. I have a roof over my head. I have a closet full of clothes. I never go hungry. I have transportation. I have what I need and every blue moon I get some of my wants. I am fortunate enough to give my children way too much(gonna work on that in 2010).

I am thankful that I can read and study my Bible whenever and wherever I want. I can worship and praise God with freedom. Not every country has that luxury.

I am so thankful that each day we are given opportunity to be better than the day before. If you screw up today, hopefully you will wake up tomorrow and have another chance to improve a situation, to right a wrong, or to forgive and forget.

This blog could go on forever. Unfortunately, I have cooking to do because my sister and her family will join us tomorrow, and my cousin too. I look forward to it. I love feeding people. I will miss my mom, grandmother , and brother but they all know that I love them and sometimes distance(and money) gets in the way. However you spend tomorrow, don't forget to thank God for whatever it is you are thankful for.

As the season continues, don't forget to share your abundance with those who are in need. Remember, need doesn't always look poor. Your neighbor might need their grass cut, the single parent in your midst might need a minute to herself for her sanity or to shop for her little ones. An older person might need you to run an errand or write out their greeting cards. Take the time to keep a divine appointment. You small gesture of kindness can impact someone in ways that you may never fathom.

Tomorrow, each of us will sit down to a table laden with food, with the people that we care most about. We will laugh, share fond memories, and hopefully make some new ones. Wherever you are and whatever you do, take a moment to reflect on what you cherish the most. Don't take it for granted. In the course of the year, there are trials and triumphs. There is loss and there is victory. We face seen and unforeseen obstacles but still, most of us stand. I am no exception. As I grow older, I realize that life really does throw you some curves but you have to stand tall and be positive. We are all works in progress and learn so many lessons along the way.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you! May the joy of the season resonate in your hearts for many days to come! Be safe! Be a blessing!

Copyright November 25, 2009 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment