Monday, November 2, 2009

This Is It

Like most children in the aftermath of Michael Jackson's death, my 8 year old son has become a serious fan of the man and more importantly the music and dance moves. Like many people my age, I had compartmentalized MJ as a troubled genius whose antics had turned me off. I still loved his music but was tired of the never ending drama surrounding his presence. I had written MJ off as a has been whose missed and troubled childhood had scarred him for life.

Since his death, my opinion has changed somewhat. I now view him as a musical genius who died of a broken heart. I have listened to his music so much in the past few months because my children have become obsessed with his music and his extraordinary videos. From the moment that the documentary, This Is It, was announced, my son has insisted that we see it. Who can deny an energetic, persistent, moon-walking kid the pleasure? There was no school, so off I went on a little date with my youngest child. He was very excited and I was reserved.


All I can say is MJ was the damn man as far as musical entertainment goes. The concert would've been off the chain! Based on the footage shown, I would scrape, beg, and borrow to witness the show. MJ's energy and genius made me think I could dance my arse off. NOT! Yet, there were moments where I just felt like I could get up and jam. My son articulated that same feeling. There are scenes where the dancers are in awe of MJ despite the fact that they were rehearsing onstage with him. They are so hyped by his performance and watching him, you can understand it. At one point, it is like they are at church where the worship and praise is so high that folks are getting happy. At another they are cheering and high fiving like crazy. Even holding back, vocally, the viewer is keenly aware that MJ has serious range and very good tone. He had planned to include his most popular songs and each one would be its own unique production within the concert itself. He's confident and in control of what is going on onstage. He's also a master at pleasing and teasing the audience, no doubt leaving them clamoring for more. For the record, MJ really does appear to be in good health and at the top of his game lyrically and physically.


Okay so we all know MJ took music videos to a whole nother level.....well I know his concert would raise the bar for other entertainers. His use of imagery and other creative methods was phenomenal. Absolutely awesome! MJ cared about humanity as well as protecting our planet for our future generations. All of this is evident in the superb production. I am positive it cost a mere fortune to put on a show of this calibur but would be worth every dollar spent. As I reflect on the number of concerts that I've seen, I realize that while they may have been good shows, none put forth the thought or the effort that was evidenced by this film. Shucks, they probably didn't even put this much thought into how the audience would percieve it.


All that said, I left the theater quite impressed with what could've been. MJ was treated with reverance and the utmost respect throughout the process. All of the individuals involved took their jobs quite seriously. They were inspired and honored to be a part of the tour. Of course, you couldn't have a better reference to boost your career. MJ was professional and respectful of everyone else and their feelings. He was serious about his craft. He was serious about preserving his voice for when it would matter. He was emphatic about elevating his show to a high level for the audience as well as letting his performers have their moment to shine. Say what you want about the tragic commentary that had become MJ's reality but no one can deny his ability to thrill and move his dedicated fans.


This Is It was to have been Michael Joseph Jackson's final curtain call and what a helluva curtain call it would've been. Unfortunately, God had other plans. We don't know what happened in Michael's home on that fateful morning, but God does, because He ordained it long long ago. What we do know is that his music is timeless and the effects of his genius will impact and inspire generations to come, in terms of elevating their craft, vocally and visually. We also know that a family is devasted and still mourning the death of a cherished loved one. It appears Michael Jackson will be larger and more profitable in death than he was in life. Whatever the case, I certainly hope he has attained the peace that seemed to elude him in life. I hope that his legacy will inspire each of us to be the best at whatever it is we do and to be more concerned about preserving humanity and our land. Now all we can do is wish and wonder how great that show would've been.


Copyright November 2, 2009 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

2 comments:

  1. My 8 year old son enjoys Michael's music and request that I play the Mama se mama sah moo ma tu sah song whenever we are in the car. (That's probably as close as he will get to Africa anytime soon) But like your son, my 6 year old daughter swears that SHE is MJ's BIGGEST fan. EVER. It is so amazing to me how someone who made music over the past 40 years can be so monumental in a child's life today. Like you I have been listening, and I mean listening to Michael's music so much since his death. I caught a glimpse of what true life was like for their family when I lived in California. Though troubled in many ways it was purely and irrevocably evident that so much love existed between siblings and their mother, who is indeed a tremendous human being. It has been said that there is a fine line between genius and insanity. From what I experienced, have heard from family and close friends, Peter Pan syndrome coupled with the genius within is what kept him alive for as long as he was here. It also is what led to his demise. My solace is that God has the sole responsibility of judgement, and he is the reader of hearts. He knows Michael better than anyone else. I hope people take away some of what you did from his last appearance and the "This Is It" film. I'm going to take my kids tomorrow. Now you got me excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Pam, you summed it up beautifully, I truly believe MJ would sincerely appreciate your inner thoughts on what is now apparent to the world..."His Musical Genius Legacy". "BRAVO!!!"

    ReplyDelete