Friday, September 17, 2010

Scapegoats

I am so freaking irritated! Since when did it become acceptable to blame innocent victims for anything? And why is it when anyone does this, they blame an African American person? What makes them randomly blame us? Is it their upbringing? Are they just racist bastards with a hatred for blacks? Honestly I can't answer the question. I just know what I know. A-I am African American. B-it is just certain things we as a culture tend not to do. C-we exhibit enough detrimental behavior which will be disproportionately reported in the news. Like most black people I know, there are times I hear the upcoming news and I think, "Please, Lord, don't  let it be a black person" who did something ridiculously crazy. The thought arises out of our desire to negate the negative thoughts attributed to our race by biased news or other individual's limited or non-exposure to people of color. For years, we have been portrayed as moraless individuals in lierature, television, and the media. Those stereotypes breed fear and instill unconcious bias against te race as a whole. Yes we are a diverse country, but no we are not a color-blind one. America still has a long way to go as far as race goes.

So what has me putting this out here? It is the fact that sometimes I listen to a story on the news and I think something is wrong with that story. It was the thought I had when I hear Bethany Storro's claim that "an African American woman with a ponytail attacked her by throwing acid in her face." I was thinking that that is something we wouldn't do. How many of you know that the African American population in Vancouver is less than five percent?  That makes the story questionable. Almost three weeks later and after a significant outpouring of concern and valuable resources have been wasted, she finally admits that the claim was a hoax. First of all, she is one sick puppy. Who inflicts that kind of pain and damage to get some darn attention?  Hell, prostitution would've given her attention. If you saw her interview, you know God should come down and strike her A$$. During her made up story, she claimed that she had bought sunglasses, something she never does, and by golly, it was God because she had the glasses on thus receieved less damage from the acid. Go figure! Then there is Susan Smith and Ashley Todd who also blamed African Americans for actions they inflicted. I am not giving them any more press, just  using them as example to make my point.

We need to demand that it become more difficult to blame African Americans. There has to be a strong punishment for the person beause it is not okay to assault any specific group of people. We have to also wonder why it is so easy for society to believe the worst of us and that we would commit such heinous crimes. It is easy because the idea of all being created equal has not been totally realized despite how far we've come. America is really afraid to deal with the deep effects of years and years of acceptable and tolerated racist behavior and that is a disservice to future generations. For those of you who think that Barack Obama in the White House is an accomplishment and that we have arrived....It is huge step and it was a long time coming, but it in no way eradicates the indoctrinated racial attitudes which continue to plague our nation. How do you think people like Bethany Storro should be punished?How do we overcome the racial stereotypes? I don't have the answers but you know I always have an opinion. Till next time, I would love to see your comments on this subject. Have a wonderful weekend! Autumn begins in a few days.

Copyright September 17, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment