Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Got Jesus? Don't Worry!

We are all stressed or worried about something. It can be the future, the children, our relationships, or money, not to mention any number of things. So how do you deal with your stress. Does it keep you up at night? Do you have ulcers? Is your blood pressure off the chart? Did you know that worry is something that God doesn't want us to do. To validate my assertion, read Matthew 6: 25-34. Verse 26 says, "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Note the point, worry adds nothing to your life.

I am a pretty carefree individual. I do ponder the issues of my life quite a bit. I don't allow them to have me walking around sullen, nor do I lose any sleep over them. Oh I don't have any health issues either. I think that irritates my hubby because he is always stressed. It isn't that I don't care, it is just that when things are out of your control, you are wasting valuable time and energy consuming yourself with whatever the problem is. I have a lot of faith that God really knows and understands our circumstances and He will come through in the right time. Sometimes, I believe He takes His time to test our faith. He wants to make sure that we don't let our flesh take over and make us think we handled the issue on our own.

When I was planning my wedding I developed ulcers. I know whole-heartedly that it was because I was stressing about the details of the wedding. I was in serious pain and then I had to take medication. I vowed then that I would never let worry or stress consume me to that point. Life is too short to spend it on trivial things. On our worse day, we are doing better than so many other individuals. I think we take that fact for granted. We live in a material world and honestly we are sheltered from the atrocities of most of the world so we can get bamboozled into believing our problems really are important and we will end up in a catastrophic situation. Part of the reason for that is that we fail to seek Christ and ask Him to meet our daily needs. We might not take a vacation, our spouse may leave, we may have a creditor or two calling our house but we eat daily, we have more than two weeks worth of clothes, cars to drive, and health(or the ability to receive health care).

Next time any of those are your concerns, think about the homeless mother with several children. Think about the family where 10 people are living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Imagine if you only had one pair of shoes, and two outfits. We have choices and opportunity. We have to make the best of them in good times and bad. We can only do what we can do. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. I hope the message you are getting is this; Don't worry, be happy! Matthew 6:34 says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." It doesn't get any simpler than that that, especially if you have a small amount of faith! Till next time meditate n being to blessed to be stressed! Peace!

Copyright September 15, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me how God's children can even be stressed about anything but STRESS is my middle name and lately I have had alot of it. My boyfriend normally tries to calm me down, give me some of the same situations that you gave but its like I KNOW there are so many peopel who are way worse off then I am but its ME.. its MY issues, MY problems and I normally don't see past that BUT He did say " do not worry about tomorrow because it would take care of itself" so I just have to remind myself of that daily. actually every minute and pray He lifts all the pressure.

    You have my mind turning.. lots of ideas to write about. Gonna work on that this weekend! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danette, good! I am missing your writings! One of the reasons I always state that we are all works in progress is that I struggle too. I don't want folks to think I have arrived! We aren't perfect but one day, with Christ we will be!

    ReplyDelete