Friday, December 18, 2009

Let It Snow

So we have a threat of a serious snow storm here in the Mid-Atlantic. The prediction is 8-12 inches of the white stuff. That translates to pure pandemonium for some and a serious time to relax and enjoy quality family time for others. I like snow when it is fresh fallen and clean. It looks so beautiful and it reminds me of the peace of God. Plus, we need cold to get rid of germs.

I like being in the house with my family. We bake, play games, and watch lots of movies. The children will play in the snow. Unfortunately, we live in area where traffic tends to be horrendous when the sun is shining brightly so you can imagine what it's like when the snow falls(or even if it rains). I grew up in Cleveland and attended college in Pittsburgh so I am used to snow and cold. Who knew I'd live somewhere that actually could run out of salt? WOW! Needless to say things get a little hairy, folks forget how to drive, and things like milk, toilet paper, and orange juice disappear off the grocery shelves like there is no tomorrow. The first time that happened, I was so confused. I am out doing my regular grocery shopping and alas, the shelves were bare. I inquired as to why and to my surprise the store clerk said, "Ma'am, there going to be a snow storm!" I had a WTF moment. After living in this area for years now, I still have to laugh.....I mean how long can we really be stuck in the house. The stores are open and the folks out are few. You can get what you need.

So here is to the impending storm! I look forward to the time spent with those I love the most at the time of year that I love the most. I love the Thanksgiving through New Year period. Time together is priceless, we all like the arrival of a lot of snow....No School, No work, All play! Yea! So what does your family do? Do you make the best of the situation and bond? Do you get out the sleds? Do you bake cookies and drink hot chocolate? However you choose to spend the time, I hope you make the best of it. Forced family fun and games can bond your family and create priceless memories for the future. It looks like we just might have a white Christmas after all....and that makes me immensely happy! Be careful and be neighborly! Shoveling snow is back breaking work and injuries can be had. Be careful but more importantly, see this as an opportunity to have fun and enjoy your loved ones!


Copyright December 18, 2009 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. No snow, but you are so right. My stepson is here for two weeks and of course the things are home all day so I stocked up on food, stuff to bake and games!!!! My daughter & I walked in today on the boys all sprawled out on the floor with their cocoa mugs watching Shark Tales. Three Minutes later she was right down there with them bossing her boys and her daddy around. My heart melted like the chocolate in the bottom of the cup.

    ReplyDelete