Monday, November 18, 2013

Just Keep It Shut

I had the craziest week ever last week! I can't even process it all to blog about it. When I reflect on it and all the other drama in my life right now, I realize so much of it goes straight to people not knowing what to say out of their mouths. God was wise and of course He already knew, that we would probably misuse it more than any of us could ever imagine. James 3:7-10, (MSG) says, " This is scary: You can tame a tiger, but you can't tame a tongue--it's never been done. The tongue runs wild, a wanton killer. With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongue we curse the very men and women he made in his image. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth!" Oh I have been pondering this thought for weeks because our words carry so much power. the encourage but Lord knows, they also inflict a great deal of pain. I walked into a co-worker's office the other day and she had this on her wall. I am going to share it because, it was perfect and it is a lesson worth learning and worth teaching. If we can work on each of these, our world and the world at large would be a better place. None of us has arrived when it comes to the use of our tongue. I challenge you to try to use yours to speak life, heal, and encourage. The small act will make a difference in some one's life, I promise you. So here it goes.....

Don't Open Your Mouth When:

     1. In the heat of anger-Proverbs 14:17
     2. You don't have all of the facts-Proverbs 18:13
     3. You haven't verified the story-Deuteronomy 17:6
     4. If your words will offend a weaker person-James 4:11
     5. It is time to listen-Proverbs 13:1
     6. You are tempted to make light of holy things-Ecclesiastes 5:2
     7. If you would be ashamed of your words later-Proverbs 8:8
     8. You are tempted to joke about sin-Proverbs 14:9
     9. If your words would convey the wrong impression-Proverbs 17:27
   10. If the issue is none of your business-Proverbs 14:10
   11. You are tempted to tell an outright lie-Proverbs 4:24
   12. If your words will damage someone else's reputation-Proverbs 16:27
   13. If your words will damage a friendship-Proverbs 16:28
   14. You are feeling critical-James 3:9
   15. If you can't say it without screaming it-Proverbs 25:28
   16. If your words will be a poor reflection of the Lord or your family and friends-Peter 2:21-23
   17. If you may have to eat your words later-Proverbs 18:21
   18. If you have already said it more than one time-Proverbs 19:13
   19. You are tempted to flatter a wicked person-Proverbs 24:24
   20. You are supposed to be working instead-Proverbs 14:23

You know I will never extend a challenge without stepping up to the plate myself. I have a hard time with my tongue just like most everyone I know. That being said, I will be carefully working on 1, 14, and 18. Pray for me in that area.  Let's all do our best to do better! Remember  "If you keep your mouth shut, you will stay out of trouble."-Proverbs 21:23


Blessing and not cursing,
in Diva love,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment