Saturday, October 9, 2010

Out of the Doghouse

Cinnamon and Spike were our pets up until this morning. I have written about both of them in previous posts. They were both very loving loyal pets. My children loved them immensely. Their love however, didn't translate into them taking care of the dogs in a responsible way. 

I gave my children ample warning and several opportunities to prove that they were capable of loving and caring for the pooches. Let me put out this disclaimer....I never neglected the dogs at all. I was always clear that with the addition of a new pet, I was not going to bear the brunt of the care for a dog that I really didn't want. We have had Cinnamon since 2005 and she is a typical beagle, lazy and rather easy-going. She fit like a glove in our family. Last year, Spike became a member of our illustrious family, much to my dismay. I did not want another pet because I knew my family wouldn't be able to handle a high maintenance pet. Hubby vetoed my well thought-out, highly logical argument against the new addition. Let's just say, I always know best. Spike required more interaction than Cinnamon and the novelty of that neediness wore off really quickly. Spike was an American bulldog. As such, he needed to be walked daily and played with frequently. Yeah, that didn't happen!  It resulted in Spike amusing himself by way of chewing any and everything in his wake. Spike was like a curious child who destroyed items with a benign innocent nature.

As I stated before, both dogs were loving and loyal. Cinnamon loved any and everyone and could easily be satisfied with a good belly rub. She was pretty smart and quite sufficient. Don't play around and try to walk her too long in the heat. Cinnamon would sit down and look at you like you were the crazy one. Spike was not quite as open to strangers.  Spike was afraid of most people but warmed up pretty quickly to children. He would follow me all over the house, often getting in my way. I referred to Spike as a tough dumb jock of a dog. Sweet as pie but not a clue in the world.

Alas, we took them to a shelter. Yes, I felt bad! Yes, I was even sad. No, I would not miss the dilemma of what to do when we travel away for days at a time. Nor would I miss the high vet, food, and kennel bills. I won't miss the dog hair being all over my furniture. Pet ownership is NO joke!!!! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It really is serious business. My children had meltdowns. They implored me to go back and get their dogs from the shelter. A sadness prevailed in our house. Yet, I know I did the right thing.

My daughter thought that because I threatened and procrastinated, we would never get rid of our pooches. She failed to realize this was an opportunity to further prove that they could handle the responsibility of owning a pet.  Pets are not objects who exist for your own pleasure. They need more than love to survive. My brother made an excellent point, if we as parents failed to meet our childrens' needs, they can call child protective services to intervene on their behalf. Our dogs don't have that ability so I had to make a call on their behalf.

So Cinnamon and Spike this post is dedicated to you. We had had some great times, good laughs, and lots of memories. I wish you the best in your new family situation. I hope that your new owners are kind and considerate and never forget to feed you or give you water. I hope they walk you and expose you to new things. The Thorpe family loves you always. Parting is such sweet sorrow.  Parents have to make tough decisions and stick to them. That said, we close his chapter of our lives. Till next time, pray for my family. Drama, drama, drama!! There is always fallout from every decision. Ciao!

Copyright by Pamela Cole Thorpe on October 9, 2010.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the sadness all the way here. I'm praying for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure going to miss my boyfrien Spike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good common sense Blog. Very helpful to one who is just finding the resources about this part. It will certainly help educate me.

    ReplyDelete