Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dmitri II!!



Nine years ago, I was blessed with a beautiful baby boy! Time definitely flies. Dmitri Jean Anthony Thorpe II, whom we call "DJ," was born at 2:13 PM on a warm summer day.  He weighed in at 7 pounds 11 ounces. The whole time I was pregnant Chante kept telling people her brother was coming on July13th despite the fact that my due date was July 17th. Needless to say that child jinxed me (SN: I did not want him to be born on Friday the 13th because it would be just wrong, not superstitious, I just didn't like it).


On the 13th, I had a doctor's appointment at 10. I went happily out of my house with a croissant in hand and a fresh hair do. Hubby was going to be 90 miles away at one of his satellite offices and I cautioned him that there would be no cause for alarm. DJ was content and no dilation had occurred and I feared he would be very late. It was mid July and I was in a wedding exactly six weeks later for one of my best friends, Dana. Anyhoo, I digress. The nurse went to track his heartbeat and I remember telling her that I felt really sleepy and cold. She was a new nurse and was looking on his chart telling me that "Your baby is never in the same place when we try to get heartbeat." I laughed. I thought I dozed off. I opened my eyes to an alarmed nurse and a doctor who had not been standing there before. The doctor says, "Mrs. Thorpe, looks like you are going to have that baby today(DAMN CHANTE!), an ambulance is on its way to transport you to the hospital." Ugh excuse me, my hubby is 90 miles away and why? I had a seizure and I was 39 weeks. So off I was going to the hospital for tests and then to be safe to induce labor and bring DJ into the world. UMM yeah, not quite the day I had in mind.


Long story, short...I am whisked off to the hospital where I am given an EKG. There went my cute hair because what? I had an updo! I also had an MRI. Not fun when you are 9 months pregnant. Let's note that I never had a seizure before(and haven't had one since). Dmitri drove like a maniac and made it to the hospital in God you were blessed not have gotten a ticket time. My girlfriend, Rose beat the ambulance there. I was worried about leaving my car at the doctor's and about getting some food. Late that evening I was finally induced. DJ wasn't trying to leave the womb and my physician was going to stop the induction and send me home. After a "come to Jesus" discussion with Dmitri, induction was stepped up. I spent the night in the hospital with my friend, Jeanine(my only friend to miss Chante's birth) at my side. Let's just say that I never peed so much in my life. A sista could have no food and I was evil. I had an IV and I could have apple juice flavored ice chips. WTF? Pitocin induced labor is not fun. They stepped that up on the morning of the 14th and I requested an epidural. At that point, I was dilated only 6 cm. I got the best anesthesiologist ever and she hooked me up.As soon as she shot me and gave me more because I still felt pain, I felt DJ drop, told the doctor it was time to push and she thought I was wrong. After I told her that "if my baby hit the floor I would kill everybody in the room," she took me more seriously, warned me not to push but still looked like I knew not what I was talking about, and advised another doc in the room to check me. He told her, "Yep the baby's head is right there." Everyone went into hyper mode but me because I could only think of Pepsi and good food. Three pushes and he was here. Yea me! He was healthy, Yea me again! Get me some damn food now!


DJ is such a sweet kid. He has a really caring and concerned spirit and very laid back nature. He really is an old man trapped in a nine year old body. He does not like controversy and he wants everyone to be friends. He is a peacemaker. He loves everything Star Wars. He is a huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan and he's recently become very much into the Military Channel and World War II.  He likes to read and he is wrestling fan. I love that he is sensitive and has a great sense of humor. When he's confident, you can't tell him anything. His love language is unequivocally words of affirmation.

I have high hopes and expectations for Dmitri. At this age, he wants to be many things...a teacher, a firefighter, a soldier, an illustrator. I constantly tell him that he can be whatever his little heart desires. I know that one day, he will be a kind, sensitive husband and an engaged father. He will be diplomatic and passionate about making his dreams come true. He will make his mark in his characteristic, quiet and determined way. He will always make me smile. He is not afraid to be affectionate and his charm will open doors for him. I could go on and on but I'll end here for now! So today, with a grateful heart, I say, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dmitri!!! My sweet and handsome son. May God bless you today and always, and May He smile richly upon your future!"

1 comment: