Monday, July 26, 2010

Diva Dialogue VIII

So I have not quite gotten back into reality mode despite the fact that I've been home for a week now. I have a few things on my mind that I need to just put out there until I can get back into writing mode and feeling normal. I have been sick since Wednesday evening. I am going to assume that it is the Mexican food working its way through. I felt like my system was sluggish there so now t is wreaking havoc on a sista. UGH!


I haven't worked out in over 3 weeks. That is not a good thing. I miss it but I don't feel like I've gained any weight. Of course I have not had a date with my scale to confirm or deny that. I will let you know. Got get movin and get back on the grind.


While we were vacationing, several folks passed on. Walter Hawkins, one of my favorite gospel artist died of pancreatic cancer. His musical talent will be a serious loss for the gospel community. I am still trying to catch a viewing of his tribute which based on Twitter was absolutely a blessing to his honor and glorifying to God. He has so many good songs to revive your spirit that I don't know which album to refer you to to get a sampling.  George Steinbrenner, the abrasive owner of the New York Yankees for 37 years also died of a heart attack. He is best known for rebuilding that team into a dynasty. The acting world lost one of its blaxpliotation icons too. Vonetta McGee died, also of a heart attack. Some of her works include, Faustina, Melinda, and Blacula.


Things in the news. Hmm. Are you happy that the leak has been sealed by BP? Do you care? Have you been personally affected? Is Lindsay Lohan the queen of drama or what. Take your crazy a$$ to jail and quit trippin already! Damn! Chelsea Clinton is getting hitched. It is rumored to be the wedding of the year. Her undisclosed guests are supposedly Oprah, Barbara Streisand and a bunch of dignitaries. Should be interesting. Girlfriend has come a long way from those geekish glasses of her White House stay. Yea, Chelsea, you've come into your own. Speaking of weddings, how about Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston's engagement? Seriously? They were bashing each other in the media a few months ago. Are you buying it or not? Mel Gibson is an idiot, That's all!


WOW! Summer is half over! Can you believe it? How will you spend the remainder of it? Have you accomplished what you set out to? Have you seen any good movies? Do you prefer Venus or Serena? What do you think of Tiger's golfing abilities now?


This past weekend, several friends of mine from my old church and I gave a celebratory party for our girls who all have/will become teenagers at some point in this year. It was such a poignant time sent. The girls were surprised at the thought and care we put into the party.  There were some touching moments that both they and we, the moms, will not forget. The best moments came when each mom got up and spoke specifically to her own daughter but the messages were to encourage all the girls. The prevalent message was that God is constant as was a mother's love. We gave sound sage advice that I hope they will remember for years to come. Respect yourself and your reputation, follow your dreams, don't let anyone hold you back and on and on. Despite feeling ill for most of the weekend I had a ball and I think we all thoroughly enjoyed everything about the time spent. I have a deep appreciation for each of the women and their girls. I believe that feeling is mutual. I am hoping Chante will write a blog from her perspective on the weekend.


I have read several great books so far this summer. I still need to get the book review site complete. Don't forget to check it out once it is up and running. http://www.divasonbooks.blogspot.com/. So if yo need a good read for now, I am recommending Perfect Peace by Daniel Black,  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacksby Rebecca Skloot, and  Her Mother's Hope (Marta's Legacy)  by Francine Rivers. All are excellent reads and would make interesting discussion for a book club. I am now learning how to play LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 on Wii, after embarking on journey through Hogwarts with Chante last year.


I just need to vent about flying for a moment. Flying is a freaking rip-off. You must now pay a fee to check your baggage which must weigh under 50 pounds in order for you not to incur an additional fee for overweight baggage. If you check in at home you can save $2 per bag. Note that you can carry n a bag up to 40 pounds though for free. Gone are the days where the airline gives you any food for free. I thought they just nixed the nuts on short flights. On our flight to Mexico, we were offered food on the flight for a fee. For about $7, you can get a snack box consisting of hummus, pita chips, nuts and something, I can't remember or a sandwich(1 kind only) with chips and cookie, or a fruit and cheese platter. Make sure you take your credit or debit card, they don't take cash. Who thought that all of these decisions were okay?


Okay, I have vented enough for now. I missed y'all but I am really enjoying the summer. I hope you are too. I am going to focus on my relationship with Christ and having fun with my family and friends. Till I chat again, be a blessing!

Copyright July 26, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment