Thursday, June 24, 2010

Are You a Punk Parent?

Punk parents allow their children to control them. The children dominate and dictate way too much of the ebb and flow of the home. This leads to them thinking that the world revolves around them. In our home, punishments are not negotiable. We set the punishment and that is that. Spanking still happens in our home too. It drives the seriousness of the issue home quickly despite it not being a popular option in today's society. My thoughts are that I turned out all right and so will my kids. My mom did not hesitate to spank me. The notion of time outs was non existent.

Parenting is a full time job and it is not easy for any of us. My goal as a parent is to raise respectful, hard-working individuals of high moral fiber/character, who have a strong sense of spirituality, and have a sense of charity. While I like there to be open communication, we are not friends. We can be, once they are adults but for now, it ain't happening. My husband and I set the boundaries and expectations. Most of them are NOT negotiable. We have consequences for negative actions and we do attempt to choose our battles wisely. I think there are instances in which we could be tougher but overall we aren't wimpy parents. Our moms might not agree but we are dealing with a different set of issues with this generation.


We tell our children "NO!" often and we try not to be inconsistent in our dealings with them. They are looking for those inconsistencies so they can use them to their advantage. We are not afraid to go against the status quo. The worst reason my kids can use, is to tell me that "so and sos mom let's them do" whatever. Who gives a darn what everyone else is doing! I certainly don't.


There are a plethora of books written on how to raise your children. I am no expert. We learn by trial and error. What works for one kid doesn't work for the other, especially in my house. My kids have very different temperaments and attitudes so parenting them is a challenge. To them, nothing seems fair when it comes to disciplining the other. My explanation is that life isn't fair and what better place to learn that than at home where the people love and care for you. Yea, that goes over real well. NOT!

Bottom line, Kids need discipline. Studies have shown that kids who don't receive it feel as if their parents really don't love them. The Bible says, "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child.  The rod of correction will drive it far from him." (Proverbs 22: 15 NKJV) See children are foolish, and as parents,  is our job to move them from the point of foolishness to a place of wisdom. Even as adults we have rules to follow and it is not dependent upon our emotions or peers. Times are showing that parents have to step up to the plate and control their children. You have to stay in their business and their friends' business too. Disrespectful children turn into disrespectful adults.

We are in a time where morals have taken a backseat and values seem to be taking a dive. You only have eighteen good years to parent your child and you have a lifetime after that to become their friend. Don't waste the opportunity to shape and mold your child. Children don't stray far from the moral compass you set for them. If they do, they will eventually veer back on track. Punk parents are selling their children out. Those children run the risk of becoming statistics. Certainly, America doesn't need anymore of those.  So you MUST set that moral compass. Do your thankless job. I have to admit that on many days it really is thankless but I know that I will see the reward of my labor in the future. I only have to ask my mom to know this to be true. Find what works best for your home but don't let your kids run you or run amuck. It is never too late to flip the tables and reclaim your God given right to rule. The time is now and the challenge has been issued. What are you gonna do? Your child's future is at hand. Don't punk out! Till the next time....Ciao!

Copyright June 24, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. PREACH SISTA!! and let me stand PROUD and say, I AIN'T no punk!! Ask my kids! I stalk my daughter FB page as well as her friends, have no problem w/ getting onto any of them right there if that's where they choose to cut the fool (go look at her page. hhahaha)I still spank until my hands just won't allow me. And do they get mad, yep but oh well. They also have mad respect for me, they enjoy me being around them and their friends, I get lots of kids who just wanna hang at my house and my kids love me. They know I onlywant the best for them and that is true! God thought it was a good idea to bless me with 3 of them so obviously He thinks I can handle what comes with that.

    I shall NEVER punk out!!! : ))

    ReplyDelete