Friday, June 11, 2010

Addicted

Hi my name is Pamela and I am addicted to books(and make-up and shoes, too). My close friends would call me a book whore. I would gladly accept the title because I really do love books and reading is Fundamental. I've had this addiction for years, like I don't even remember when it began. I clearly remember reading under my sheets with a flashlight as a child. Probably why I have such poor vision now.


Everyone knows that I have a passion for reading a good book. I've gotten to the point where I will post my reviews on Facebook(Living Social). When I review a book, I try really hard not to give anything away in terms of the plot and give my honest assessment. I also post them on Barnes and Noble's website as well. If you want to check them out my user name is PamT2u. God has blessed me with family and friends who appreciate a good book as well. Shout out to Dorna, Dana, Monica, Lisa(C and H), Monique, Carlene, Talithia, Tiffany, Tracie, and Andrea! They can recommend a good book and none of them is afraid of giving their opinion, good or bad. They all call for recommendations and I share them. They will let me know if they disagree with my thoughts on a book too.


My husband does not share my passion for books but he does love me enough to support my habit. It is bad y'all. When I say, "So many books, so little time! I absolutely mean it. To prove his love, you already know he bought me a Nook for Christmas. It gets no better than that. An e-reader is a wonderful thing. You can have access to all of your books in one place. I have friends who own Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation) or Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition - Black (PRS600BC)and like me, they love it. I think the major plus is being able to download a sample to determine if a book is worthy of you spending your money on it. The cost of most e-books is $9.99, some are less and new releases might be a little more. The most I've paid for an e-book is $14.99.


Due to the number of requests I've received in the past two weeks alone, I thought I'd post my own recommended reading list for this summer. Some I've read and some are on my list of books to read at the pool or on the beach. Of the books that I've read recently, I am recommending the following: Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together, True Colors, Firefly Lane, The Help and Wench: A Novel. On my list of things to read for this summer we have the following: Her Mother's Hope (Marta's Legacy), Little Bee: A Novel, Perfect Peace, Till You Hear from Me: A Novel, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. There are quite a few others but this should help for now. I am always reading a self help or Christian book too. My summer read is This Isn't the Life I Signed Up For: ...But I'm Finding Hope and Healing. Let me know what you think of any or all of them. Feel free to recommend your own personal favorites. Should this list still find you wanting more, I suggest the following authors: J. California Cooper, John Sandford, Francine Rivers, Berniece McFadden, Kristin Hannah, and Jodi Picoult.


Note that this post was purely random so I will give other favs at some point. Thanks so much for indulging me. I really would like some feedback. Everyone has a story that they love. Don't you want to share it with us?  certainly hope so. Now seriously, pick up a book, if you aren't a reader, I am challenging you to challenge yourself and read one, just one book each month. There is a whole vast array of books out there. Till next time, for real, I hope the Lord blesses you with a wonderful weekend! 

Copyright June 10, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment