Monday, June 22, 2015

Double Duty Cuties

Yesterday was Father's Day. A day we celebrate the men who contribute to a child coming into the world.  As I perused Facebook, it made my heart glad to see the number of fathers actively involved in the lives of their children.  That's a beautiful thing. It's also the right thing.  Fathers should be actively involved  in their childrens' lives-physically, emotionally, and financially.As I continued to peruse social media, I also saw various postings about mothers who wanted to be celebrated in the absence of the father, and postings about  how those women are not fathers.  Don't we just love social media.

As a child, I was raised by a single mother who did a damn good job, I can clearly state, she was not my father, nor was she a father figure. My father wasn't absent but he was barely active. So while I knew that I was very loved  by him, he failed to show me the things daughters need their fathers to show them. I am thankful that  I had a grandfather who filled a lot of that void.God always gives you what you need.

The bottom line is this. Single parenting is not a new thing. Most mothers will do what they need to do for their children, especially in the absence of  a father. A good mother will not bad mouth the father to their kids. They don't have to, because eventually they will see what kind of man he is and whether or not he has any character. Children don't need presents, they need his presence. I don't agree with or condone women who don't  allow men to interact with their children because he isn't paying child support. What I do loathe is a father who has access and opportunity to his children and fails to take full advantage that opportunity. Those trifling men do exist. Sadly, they lose out on a chance to impact their children's lives in  great ways and small. 

Women are nurturers by nature and for, that reason, they will  always try to fill a void. Women often have to do double duty for their children in the absence of the father and I know it is not easy. Some men put the women in that position, others make the choice unwisely. God is the Ultimate Father and refers to himself in the male gender. Women are not males thus no Father's Day celebration for you. You deserve praise for holding it down and handling your business (and his). Mother's Day is for you. Your kids will eventually recognize the sacrifices  you made and  the  hard work it took to  do everything to make their  lives as  normal and  successful as  possible. Be content with the fact that you are a double duty cutie. Just as God provides, He sees all and knows all. He specifically knows what you can handle and with prayer and probably a little help from friends,  you and your children will be all right. 

I end  with this quote from Jan Ambu: Being a father is a choice, Staying true to fatherhood is a   
duty. 

In Diva Love,

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment