Monday, August 22, 2011

The Help

On last Sunday, I went to see the highly controversial film, THE HELP, with my cousin and my BFF. If you recall, it was one of my favorite books last summer. So you know I was anxious to view the film and see whether it adhered to the book. The film met my lofty expectations and I daresay that I enjoyed it as much as the book. It was one of the best adaptations that I've seen in a long time. Whenever I see a racially charged movie and I don't feel like I need to avoid Caucasians so I won't fight them, the movie is done well. I didn't leave the film with any hatred so that is a good thing. For those of you who read me but don't know me, Yes! I have a large contingent of Caucasian girlfriends and several of them are very close friends.

I am guessing that several of the actresses will be nominated for awards. I have to say that my favorite performances were given by Octavia Spencer and Sissy Spacek. They brought their characters to life in a real and inspiring way. Viola Davis does a phenomenal job as Abilene and she too deserves an award. I am wary of the folks who nominate for the Oscars, so I suspect she may be dissed. It was hard not to love most of the women but I felt no love for the Hilly character. Bryce Dallas Howard did an excellent job as the racist socialite trying to bully all her friends into submitting to her negative ways.

As is the norm, the film did leave out some things that the book covered. One of the things that I think was missing was the depth of Abilene's pain over losing her son. I felt it more deeply when I read the novel and my heart ached for her. I am very glad that very little coverage of   Minnie's husband and his abusive ways were left out of the story. I think it was a very intelligent move on the scriptwriter's part. Can you imagine if they had put an African American man on the screen beating his woman?  All hell would break loose. Just look at the flack that Tyler Perry receives for his portrayal of men in his films and he is African American. The move was intelligent so that that could not be the thing focused on once the film was viewed publicly. Another thing that was downplayed in the film was just how much control and power that Hilly had over her contemporaries. I also think that Elizabeth Leefolt, Abilene's employer, was not quite portrayed as the social climber that she was in the book.

After talking to Dorna, she indicated that she didn't think the original question was answered. "How did you feel raising white folks children and having to neglect (for lack of a better word) your own?" There is no real answer to that, is there? Who would actually say,"Yea, I really enjoyed taking care of these children who will eventually become my boss and treat me like crap while I left my own kids to fend for themselves." The real answer lies in the fact that African American women have and had been doing it for years. There was little choice in the matter if they wanted to be able to make any money. Of course we all know that this whole phenomena originated with slavery.  I refuse to give any press to that whole bogus institution that oppressed a whole race of people with the notion that it was biblically based.

While I enjoyed the film and the book, I am very aware of race and race issues. Always have been and probably always will be. America has so far to go in really coming to terms with race. I would love to see a day when we don't have to wonder if there is a racial undertone or connotation to what is going on. The role of race does NOT diminish because I have Caucasian friends. I am still an African American woman whose life experiences have been shaped by race, politics and economics. My experiences are not profound nor do I think they are unique.

If you talked to my grandmother, she would have something completely different to say. She did work for Caucasian people. I don't think she was mistreated but she never let the people she worked for know her business. She was afraid for them to know what she had(2 homes, 2 cars, money in the bank, etc) and that she didn't need their handouts. It is funny to me now but it was irritating when I was younger. I am sure it pissed my mom and her sisters off too. I guess she knew something we might not have been privy to. I am sure she would have hated seeing The Help, too. I guess something about being a part of that history does not allow you to relax about the hurt and pain from that period of time. My grandmother is 97 years old.

Now, with all that being said and me not giving anything away, I hope you will see the film and read the book. Let me know what you think of both. Let me know what you think of this blog. I am always going to keep it real. Sometimes the truth is hard to digest. Remember, "You is kind, you is smart, you is important."(Abilene~The Help)

Copyright August 22, 2011 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment