Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earthquakes and Hurricanes, Oh My!!!

Completely Random-I survived an earthquake!!! By now everyone should know that there was an earthquake on Tuesday that originated in Mineral, VA a mere 67 miles away from me. Yes, I felt it. It measured 5.9 on the Richter Scale.  I was at work. Can you imagine the looks on the faces of two year old children who had just awakened from a good nap. PRICELESS! There were several aftershocks which I have not felt. The most recent one occurred last night at 1:07 AM. It measured 4.1 but I slept through that. No damage was sustained and all my loved ones are okay. God is good. I understand both of my children were quite rattled. I only wish I had been home to console and reassure them.

As of this moment, we are watching the path of Hurricane Irene. I feel bad because I have several friends who are vacationing in the Outer Banks and are having to evacuate their little piece of heaven to avoid the potential danger of the storms, which as of this morning had winds of up to 135 MPH. We have already begun to get the rain. All of these natural occurrences should make you believe there is a God. He is in control. We can't prepare for any earthquake and we never know which way a hurricane will blow.

Life is short. Love your family and hold them close(yes, even when they get on your nerves). Tell them you love them as often as possible. Have a plan for any disasters. The worst thing that can happen is not knowing that those you love are okay and safe. Cell phones will fail and so will land lines as the earthquake proved. You may not have access to the Internet but you do need to know your peeps are safe. So develop a plan that takes these thing into consideration. Heed my advice, we are seeing more and more natural disasters than ever before so we can't say what we will or won't experience. Peace!

Copyright August 25, 2011 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment