Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where Do You Escape?

Where do you run when you need a quiet moment? What do you do to ease the burden of life? A moment of solitude is tantamount to one's overall well being. So what does that look like for you? I imagine that it looks different for everyone of us but it is still a small piece of heaven that makes a world of difference to your sanity.

Solitude is vital to your well being. It will help you focus, or in some cases refocus. It will enable you to be a better person for those who depend on you. It is not something you should feel guilty about. Everyone NEEDS an escape from time to time.  Prayer is always a wonderful way to shut out the noise and calm the spirit. Can't nobody do you like Jesus! We all know that that is not always the first thing we think of and that's okay but trust me, a few minutes with the Father and every child will feel better.

When I get that opportunity to escape, I am reading a book, a magazine, or a devotional. Nothing like a good novel to lose your worries and focus on someone else's. A good book will have characters you can imagine or situations you understand but perhaps would resolve differently.

Another escape for me is cooking or baking. I love feeding people but on my terms. I want to do it when I want to do it, not on demand. Chances are if I have to cook or bake, it is best done when I can get in my kitchen and be alone. No distractions, no help. In my house this tends to happen late at night. If we are having people over, I wait til everyone is settled and go for it on my own.

My last favorite escape is a good book store or a Hallmark store. I love cards. Hallmark has the best little trinkets and great stationary. The book store is just a wonderful place to browse for not only books but CDs, journals, and sometimes even games. No one ever looks disgruntled in the bookstore.

So what brings you joy in the midst of chaos? Is there a place you can go and just be free of life's burdens, even if it is only for a few minutes. If you can't define it, re-evaluate your situation. Sometimes, it only takes a five minute reprieve to clear your head. Your solitude might not look like mine, but chances are it will make you feel better. Jesus always stole away to pray. He knew the value of solitude and we should defintely follow His example. You can't be everything to all people if you are not good to yourself. So I am looking forward to some new and exciting ideas for solitude. Share with me folks!

Copyright October 13, 2009 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. Well for me sanutaury is home period. I learned a while ago that the home you pay for should be that for you. I was in a place where I would find every excuse in the world not to go home. Once I got rid of the nuisance I can go anywhere I want in my home for peace. May not be the same kind of peace everyday but it is the oeace I need in my life.

    ReplyDelete