Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life is Worth Living

What do you think about suicide? Everyone has some opinion whether politically correct or not. Let me clear the record before I rant...I HAVE NEVER CONSIDERED TAKING MY OWN LIFE. I have given thought to the subject because my cousin just told me about a 17 year old who took his life and it appears Alexander McQueen, fashion designer may have also taken his own life. What drives someone to this point?

Life is difficult for most folks and sometimes it weighs you down. Does it get so bad that there is no other alternative besides the finality of death? I don't think so. Again, just my opinion. My girlfriend, Jeanine thinks that suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and the most extreme of temper tantrums. I think it is an accurate opinion. It is selfish, kind of like telling everyone F@#% you to the highest degree. It is even worse if you fail to leave an explanation. Those you've left behind will be consumed with guilt and pain. They will always be wondering what they could've done to help you or convince you that life really was worth living.

When young people take their lives, I feel a huge amount of sadness for them. Their life has barely begun. They haven't even experienced the real ups and downs of life. I am not negating any one's screwed up childhood but true life experience comes once you are on your own, making foolish decisions and learning from your mistakes. As individuals, we are the sum of our experiences, good and bad. None of escapes life without a few bumps and bruises. God has not promised that everything would be easy. He did state that He would not tempt us beyond what we can bear.

When things are not going the way you think they should, talk to someone. Change what you are doing. Sometimes you need to change the environment. Everyone has a different breaking point, this I know. I don't really know what it is like to feel a extreme sense of hopelessness. Honestly, I hope I never get to that point. I am a talker by nature. Sometimes I need a friend to listen and give me a totally different perspective. You know that we all think from our own point of view and sometimes it is skewed. I try to wake up each day and see the glass half full with new opportunity for improvement. I remind myself and my children that on our worst day, there is definitely someone suffering far more than we are. Why would you want to cause yourself pain? Your family and friends? I often wonder whether the suicidal person thinks about an unsuccessful attempt. If it isn't your appointed time to die, can you handle being in a wheelchair or whatever lasting effect an unsuccessful attempt results in. Man, that would be something, wouldn't it?

I think life is a blessing. Every 24 hours, we are given a new opportunity to change, grow, inspire, and persevere. I pray none of you has or is currently thinking of taking your life. Life is precious! You are a gift to someone and you do make a difference. Some of our impact is great while others will be small. Rest assured, God has purpose for your life. It is worth living. It might not be all that you want it to be but you have the ability to progress to what you want it to be. Baby steps are still steps. Don't be selfish, seek help, get medication, or whatever it takes to make you feel a sense of hope. Talk to God, it helps. Seriously. He is there if you feel no one else understands your pain and anguish. Choose life. Live it to the fullest, no regrets!

Copyright February 11, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....and this are just my opinions, but I don't think that people think about anyone else when they think about suicide. I mean they don't think or maybe don't even care about what people will think after the fact. I think that maybe the pains and sufferings they are feeling at that very moment are what consumes them. It's pretty easy for us to judgein this situation when there is nothing that may have driven you to those kinds of thoughts and I know the Bible too and I think that God strictly talks about this and does not agree with it. But I also think that people who have these thoughts are not thinking about God and any promise He has made them that they may be ble to quote to you on a good day. I think that until you really get to a point like that, you will never really knwo that kind of pain. I know because I wanted to die at one point. I came to a point in my life that nothing mattered, I figured I was going to hell anyway so I did things in my life that honestly... should have killed me but I guess God had other plans for me. I went through some serious counseling, lots of depression meds and had a few friends that basically were with me, literally and in thoughts all the time until whatever was going on, was gone.

    I know better now and life has thrown me some curves since then, but I know that things will get better. Maybe not right then, but they will. All we can do is pray. Pray for the ones who don't know God or just don't care one way or the other and really pay attention to the people you come in contact with because you nevr really know.

    Thanks Pam for the post. You always make my mind start thinking..... love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danette, Thanks for giving me something to think about. Another perspective is a good thing. I really do love living and I have really been down to some low points, suicide hasn't crossed my mind. I know folks who are really close to me that have seriously thought about it and my heart hurts for every one them. I think I forget that God already knows that this is what will happen and He will use it for good. In your case, I am glad you turned your situation around. I am so glad to have gotten to know you. Love ya back!

    ReplyDelete