Monday, February 13, 2012

Didn't We Almost Have It All??

Whitney Houston did almost have it all. Money, fame, fortune, and the voice millions coveted. It simply wasn't enough to keep her from seeking the next best thing. I think it is safe to say that we all rooted for Whitney to regain her throne. A comeback story always gives us a sense  of hope and pride. We all wanted to hear that bone chilling voice that touched our souls and could bring tears to the eyes of grown men. Unfortunately, that moment will never come. On Saturday, it was reported that Houston had died in the Beverley Hilton Hotel at the age of 48.

There true legends and there are true divas. Whitney Houston was definitely both. It is with a heavy heart that I write this blog. Few other artist define the music scene of the 80s and 90s in the way that Houston did. Whitney Houston was a gifted songstress who could touch you deep down in your soul when she was at her height. I felt immediately sad. I thought that perhaps she is finally at peace. I knew there would be no one else like her. Her voice was one of kind. Her megawatt smile could light up a room. Her feisty personality and life choices had intrigued fans and haters alike. I realized a child would be left motherless. Again, my heart ached for yet another void in the music industry. My son said, "Wow! This reminds me of when Michael Jackson died. A lot of coverage." He is ten. I had to let him know that while Whitney barely registered as a blip on his radar, she was a force to be reckoned with during my adolescent years.

Because, I grew up with Whitney Houston, I have had the opportunity to witness her highs and her lows. When Houston was up, she was up, when she was down, well, you never knew what might happen. While I really want to focus on the positive, I would be remiss not to go on and say what I truly think. We are all aware that there is a pre-drug Whitney voice and a post drug Whitney voice. Pre-drug Whitney was the business. No one could hold a candle to her range and ability to musically mesmerize a crowd.  Post-drug Whitney was able to sing but it was painful to realize that her gift was no longer as powerful as it once was.

I will never forget her heartfelt rendition of the National Anthem (http://youtu.be/Z1QmeEdFOSc). Hands down it is best performance that I have ever heard. It touched my soul. There are  various songs that I could mention but I will say that "Saving all My Love" is my favorite secular song and my favorite religious would have to be "Who Would Imagine A King." The soundtracks to The Preacher's Wife and The Bodyguard are both sensational showcases of her vocal talent. It goes without saying that I will post my Whitney Play list in a day or two.

As I watch the various news reports, I am irritated that the media has chosen to blame Bobby Brown for her downfall. We all have life choices to make and Whitney made hers. Like most humans, she too is prone to make mistakes and bad decisions. I am chuckling because I can remember the day clearly when I told my BFF Sonja that Whitney was a hood rat that Clive Davis had groomed to perfection and America and the rest of the world bought the lie. I know you can take the girl (or boy) out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of the person. A savvy person could figure it out after a while. I think the best example of this was when she did an interview with late night talk show host Arsenio Hall. Houston spoke to him from her home and I think it was one of the rare opportunities you got to see who she really was. She was smoking Newport cigarettes and had her home-girl persona in full effect. It confirmed what I already knew. I mean no disrespect, I just knew in my gut that she had been packaged well. I want Clive Davis to package me if I ever make it.

Bobby Brown was just a part of who she really was. Their relationship was on display and it didn't play out well in public. Two addictive personalities are volatile and can't help the other out of a rut. He was a choice that she made too.  In short, let's just say that Whitney was a strong woman who made her own decisions. She didn't march to the beat of anyone's drum but her own.

People can't love you out of your issues. Whitney was no exception. She had demons to slay and her family and friends desire to see her well didn't change the situation. There is no doubt in my mind that Whitney believed in God. and yes, she knew Jesus loved her. Even still, she had addiction issues and eventually they become more important to her than the gift God gave her. No amount of money or fame can protect you from the blows that life may send your way.

Whitney Houston's memory will live on in our hearts and souls. There will be no more CDs or performances. There is only one movie left to see. Sparkle comes out in August. Like many folks, it is a re-make that I am really looking forward too. I hope Houston shines on the big screen. After all, she was larger than life. God, and God alone knew Whitney's destiny. Her legacy is far reaching and will live on for decades to come. Now, she performs for an Audience of One. Her voice has taken flight and joined the angels and eternity praising Jesus, truly, The Greatest Love of All. No more paparazzi, sorrow, or pain. Whitney is healed and her voice is better than ever. RIP, Nippy! You are with the One Who Loves you Best.

Saddened Diva,
Pam







No comments:

Post a Comment