Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thankful Thursday

I haven't been a writing mode or reading mode lately. If you know me, then you know that means something might be off. I feel I owe it to my readers to post regularly and I have been MIA for a couple weeks. To ease my guilt, I thought I would post a Thankful blog. I know this is done quite a bit in November to honor Thanksgiving. Every day that we wake up and have breath, moving limbs, and a sound mind we should be thankful. Hence this post. 

When I look back over the past year, I have a  million small reasons to be thankful for what God has done. This year, my husband and I had the pleasure of hosting several members of his family who came to visit. To borrow a term, most of these visits could be considered "milestone trips." All families have their share of dysfunction and his is no exception. Sparing you all the details, it was truly a blessing for his aging mother to come along with his oldest sister. Later in the year, another of his sisters visited and I truly gained a good girlfriend. We were also fortunate enough to have my hubby's children come to visit. If you know us well, you know that is a miracle that has been prayed for for a really long time. Every visit went well and a great time was had by all. My husband is a happy camper and I am thankful to be able to witness all these things come to pass. God is faithful and His timing is perfect even when we don't think it is. 

I am also thankful for the haters in my life. Truth be told, they motivate me. Life is tricky but God always reveals the true character of the people in your sphere of life. You never know who is trying to salt your game. Case and point, I asked an "acquaintance" about her opinion on something I had been asked to do by a common friend of ours. We had a brief conversation and I was done. As chance would have it, I was meeting the common friend right after. As we sat chatting, she opened her e-mail and there was one from the "acquaintance" I had questioned earlier. The acquaintance, had sent her an e-mail in less than a span of a half an hour and indicated that she had spoken with me but had some reservations about me doing what I had been asked to do. WTH? Who does that? I immediately got pissed off because my questions were a) quite general and b)because the person was in no position to have reservations about me in that capacity. SN: I knew I'd see the acquaintance the next day and she'd be smiling in my face(unbeknown  to her that I saw the e-mail). Of course I thought about confronting her and the earlier versions of me would have done so without reservation but the tactful mature me, let it go and tucked it into my head for future retribution reference. I will let you know how things turn out there because I don't deal well with backstabbers or well intentioned folks who stick their noses where they don't belong. 

I am also thankful for my friends and family. Most of my close friends live in different cities. God knows when to have them check in. Just when you think you might lose it, a well placed call from a person who knows the real you, does wonders for the soul. Not a day goes by that I don't praise God for the people I have chosen to have a role in my life, nor does a day go by that I don't give thanks for the the dysfunctional bunch of folks that I didn't choose (my lovely family). God knows what we need but more importantly who we need to cultivate the best of us or build in us the character that brings Him glory. The cast of characters in my life is as varied as it is flawed but I wouldn't trade them for anything. I am blessed and I know it. Thanks for allowing me to vent/share/digress. Till next time, remember it is the little things that are important.

In Thankful Diva love,

Pam

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that the family visits went well. God has really blessed in that area. I look forward to talking to you soon. You are a blessing.....bump the haters. Glad you took the high road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to enjoy your family. I always say there is no such thing as a dysfunctional family because all are dysfunctional..lol I'm glad you all got to enjoy some family time

    ReplyDelete