Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ordered Affairs

Lately I have been giving a lot of thought to having ones affairs in order. I in no way have really done what I feel is necessary in that regard and it is weighing heavily on my heart. It got me to wondering about my family and closest friends. Have you got your affairs in order if something were to happen to you? I feel guilty because I have children and I think it is a disservice not to have my wishes in writing. I know what I want to happen if something happens to me and my hubby but I haven't really shared that info with anyone. You know when you are young, you tend to think that you will live forever. As you mature, you realize that life is short and time is precious.

My brother, like my dad, is clear about his desire to be cremated. My husband has always said that he wants to be cremated and have his ashes thrown into the ocean. Honestly, those discussions used to freak me out. Now, I am okay with it. I understand more fully the desire to be cremated, especially as we move further and further away from our families. I think a lot about being buried in a city and my kids moving away but possibly worrying about visiting our gravesites. Not a great thought and not a stress that I wanna put on them.

My mom lives six hours away. She is even farther from my brother. I worry about her. We haven't really discussed her desires if something should happen. I know where her important papers and stuff are. All her friends are there but her children aren't. So you can see why there is some level of anxiety. These are difficult discussions to have yet they are very necessary. So I am challenging you, if you haven't already done it, to share your desires with your loved ones or put it in writing. Yes, I am going to follow my own advice. Don't forget that you should include things like whether you are an organ donor or what to do if you are in a vegetative state and things of that nature. Yea, I know it is quite a bit to think about. So I am done. Gotta get busy with my paln so no one is burdened trying to figure out my wishes. I know it is kind of depressing but do it! Ciao!!!

Copyright September 22, 2011 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. Well said! When I left for SA, we were required to have our affairs in order. Explicit instructions for everything - body, memorial service, etc. Yes, it's hard to think about but it is the most loving thing you can do for your family. So fill out that advanced directive and living will... and show your family how much you care about them!

    ReplyDelete