Friday, November 5, 2010

About Suicide

In my neighborhood, there have been a number of teen suicides. The issue concerns me for many reasons. Most of the victims have been males under the age of 19. It saddens me that anyone finds their life in such a hopeless state that they would consider ending it. There are a number of statistics that I can give you but I am only going to share a few.


Over one million people commit suicide every year. The World Health Organization estimates that it is the thirteenth-leading cause of death worldwide. It is a leading cause of death among teenagers and adults under 35. There are an estimated 10 to 20 million non-fatal attempted suicides every year worldwide.


No one is immune to suicide and the long term impact it can have on a school or community. I had a conversation with my 12 year old and her attitude on the subject was rather cavalier and a little selfish too. It made me realize that sometimes children really don't have a grasp of the global impact of their actions. Suicide leaves a slew of grief stricken victims in its wake. Not only is the family hurt, but there are friends, teachers, and acquaintances who will be left with questions and various emotions to deal with.


If you are a teen or adult who feels such a state of despair, please talk to someone. Life is precious. The suicide hot line number is 1-800-273-8255. God has a plan for your life and in Him you can find hope, peace, and the answers to life's most pressing issues. I know it sounds so easy to say.  I don't take any one's plight lightly. Your perception is your reality. I just know, things can always be worse. They really can. I challenge you to take a chance and give life another opportunity. Taking a step to admit you need help, is a HUGE step to getting things right in your life. Right doesn't mean perfect. Despite how things appear, no person has a perfect life. Let me repeat, the suicide hot line number is 1-800-273-8255. Let someone bless you!

Copyright by Pamela Cole Thorpe on November 5, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment