Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Helpful Me

So it is a running joke in several different circles of my friends, that if you want to know something on the Internet, ask Pam. It's a running joke but the reality is, I will find what I need on the Internet and if I can't, I call my cousin, Toot, and she will find it for me. So I am giving up some good info to assist you, my favorite readers/friends/neighbors, in your quest to find things you need in your day to day dealings. In short, here are a few sites that will help you out depending on what you need.

1. If you like a book and want to read something with a similar style or feel to it, check out www.bookseeker.com.

2. If you want to know what information is out there in cyberspace about you, check out www.webmii.com.

3. If you want a serious bargain on anything, check out http://www.overstock.com/.

4. Need shoes, check out www.zappos.com or http://www.endless.com/.

5. If you are considering a hysterectomy, please check out www.hystersisters.com. They have some good info for you in terms of alternatives, methods, and it is quite a supportive site.

6. Looking for a home to purchase or rent in DC/MD/VA/PA, www.homesdatabase.com is the place for you.

7. Need to figure out where you want to send your children to school, I suggest www.greatschools.net. It is not a be all end all but if the parents who contribute are honest, it is a great place to start.

8. Unemployed? Of course there is Monster, YahooJobs, but their is also http://www.indeed.com/ and www.craigslist.org. SN: be careful on Craigslist, there are scammers out there. Also it is useful for locating a place to live and also for selling/buying things.

9. If you want to get rid of something, but don't wish to haul it away, list it on www.freecycle.org. It goes without saying that you can also find things you need if you are willing to go pick up the item.

10. Got a craving for a particular cuisine in a specific price range, www.urbanspoon.com is your spot.

11. Wanna know what folks think of the restaurant you chose(or a hair salon or any other business, you need to read the reviews on http://www.yelp.com/. You can create an account and give your opinion of the businesses as well.

12. If you need a free budgeting tool, I am in love with http://www.mint.com/. it will break down your spending habits and let you know when you've exceeded a particular budget item. Great tool without the cost of Quicken or a program like it.

Okay so lets call it a dozen sites to enhance your life, depending on what you need. I am sure there are somethings I missed but this is not an exhaustive listing. I will give you some other things to chew on at a later date. I love sharing what I know and I try to educate my friends in the process. Let me know whether they help you or not. I think they are all worthy of your perusal. I love you all, be safe, smile, and bless someone along the way.

Copyright June 15, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment