Thursday, August 27, 2009

Is your Passion Alive and Well or is it a Dream Deferred?

Let's face it, we all had lofty dreams and desires when we were younger. We thought the things we could do and imagine were limitless. As we get older, we realize that circumstances, both in and out of our control, place limits on the achievement of those dreams and desires. Fear, parenthood, economics all play a role. No matter what holds you back, there is still a fire burning somewhere in your soul. What do you do with that energy? How do satisfy the passion that you once had? Honestly, I don't have a real recipe to offer but what I know is this...When you have a dream, a gift, or a talent that you are stifling, at some point it will rear its little head. God has given each of us a purpose (ref: Jer. 29:11) and no matter how hard we might resist, we cannot avoid it. Opportunities will come knocking and we eventually will have to pay the piper and answer. It is NEVER too late.

Most people are not thriving at work because they are not doing what they love. Are you really fulfilled at the end of the day? Have you made an impact on someone or something? Are you chomping at the bit to fulfill your duties? If the answer is a resounding "NO!" then your passion is not being fueled. Today, I challenge you to take the first tiny step toward whatever, yes, whatever, it is you have put on hold. Do not allow yourself to think that you are too old, young, weak, scared, or poor to step out there. It is never too late and there is no time like the present. If you simply take one tiny step each day or week, eventually you will get to where you are supposed to be. Guess what? It will feel so natural, you will kick yourself for waiting so long to do it.

I know this because I am guilty.  I have stifled my own gifts and talents to appease other people, because I felt ill-equipped, and because I was afraid of what other people might think. This blog has been in my mind for a really long time. My need to express myself in a public forum has long been there. I know I was destined to do many things. Writing is one of them. Wait til I finally write the book that God is still birthing in me(that is another blog for another day). This is just one of my many tiny steps. I am empowering you to take yours. So what is it going to be? How are you going to proceed? What is your passion? What are you letting stand in the way? Move yourself or whatever it is out of the equation and get busy living it! Don't let your passion die. Share it! You will bless yourself and so many others. Life is short, it is meant to be lived to the fullest, with no regrets.

"Copyright Aug. 27, 2009  by Pamela Cole Thorpe"

5 comments:

  1. I like! This is a good forum for you, keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written, thought provoking, inspirational and even guilt invoked for me.

    - Your gift of exhortation comes through...Giving myself til' this Sunday as a dealine to get my sore knees down to that yoga class on my block.

    Thanks Pam, miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I love you all and your opinions do matter to me. Keep the feedback coming!

    ReplyDelete