Friday, March 26, 2010

What Ernestine Knows For Sure


Ernestine is my mom. She is 66 years young and doing her thing. She is my first role model. I'm lucky that in adulthood, we've found a comfortable friendship. We had some crazy years there when I was in high school and to be honest, I wasn't sure that she could or would ever be my friend. We survived! I love her dearly and we have a good relationship. We respect each other and though we don't always agree, we know that love conquers all and family is important. While both my brother and I love to write, mom likes to communicate with folks, but writing is not her gift. She's really a talker! She was reluctant when I asked her to blog out what she knows for sure. What she did instead is sent me a card with a small note listing the things she knows for sure. She left it to me to put it out there for her. So this is her version of what she knows for sure at this point in her life.....

1. You must have faith in God.

2. Everyone should have money in the bank.

3. Peace of mind is necessary and important.

4. Me-time is also necessary and important to every one. You can't be all things to all people if you haven't cared for yourself first.

5. It is important to know how to say, "NO!!!!" In other words, boundaries are important.

That's it folks. Her list was short, succinct, and rather simple. Yet, it speaks volumes. I hope you enjoyed all three versions of what we know for sure. We all have different life perspectives but I see that we all agree, that you need some level of faith as well as you need to take care of yourself before you deal with others. I know it is difficult if you are a mom or a wife. You still need to find those moments. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Spring is finally here! Be safe and above all, bless someone with a smile or the gift of your time!

Copyright March 26, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

2 comments:

  1. Though short and sweet, each is a treat, and very well put. Implementing each one if not all will help create a happier life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far the three of these have been some of my favorite posts. I hope wisdom is gleaned from every one of them!

    ReplyDelete