Friday, March 5, 2010

These Things I Know for Sure

I don't read the Oprah Magazine often, but when I do, this is one of my favorite sections. Everyone has a definitive idea of what they know for sure at this particular point in their lives. I am no different. Personally, I know my list is constantly changing, especially at the end of each decade of life. My list should differ significantly from that of my 96 year old grandmother. Perhaps I will ask her and blog it out one day. She is not a phone person so I would prefer to do it in person. We will see. What you know for sure is based on your life experiences and perspective. So here goes, as of today, this is what I know for sure.........I think!

1. Exposure is priceless. You can never have too many life experiences, especially as a child. The more people, places, and different things that one is exposed too, the better. It gives you a broader perspective on everything. You also have a greater appreciation for diversity too. People who never leave the little area that they grew up in tend to be less open to change and diversity, and more narrow-minded. Homogeneous environments may feel safe but they skew and limit your views.

2. You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends. Sometimes, your friends become your family. I am blessed to have several friends that challenge and inspire me. I am old enough to realize that all friendships aren't meant to last forever but they will all leave a mark(hopefully not a scar).

3. Marriage and parenting are both acts of selflessness and a delicate balancing act.

4. You are never to old to need your mom. Parenting is a forever job.

5. Prayer changes things but the biggest change will be in you and how you process your circumstances.

6. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

7. Forgiveness is a lesson best learned at an early age. There will be many more life lessons on this....just keep living.

8. No matter how much you change and grow, people will try to limit you to the person that you were when you came into their lives.

So that's it for now. This is what I know for sure at 41 and 3/4 of my life lived. I have scars on my tongue but more importantly, on my knees. I also know that God is real to me and without Him, so many things in my life would've been worse. I certainly hope you all have a belief system in place. My belief is in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They, unlike some people, have never let me down, and they love me unconditionally. They also give me hope. Life is not always what we want it to be but we have purpose and God has a purpose for us in His divine plan.

The next couple of posts will be guest spots of what others, of varying ages, know for sure at this point in their own lives. I hope you like or are inspired by what you read. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Be safe. Till next time.......Peace!!!!


Copyright March 5, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. Same but Different!!! I totally feel you on exposure!! I too came to the conclusion that people need to "mix"it up in order to have a real appreciation of things. For me personally, after going to all black elementary, and all white junior high & high school, and then a HBCU, I knew I would always need to have different types and shades of people in my life. Too often, people have fears and misperceptions of those who don't look like them because they haven't been exposed, either by choice or circumstance. When you allow yourself to be in the company of different, you become more respectful and open to finding the sameness!!

    ReplyDelete