Thursday, January 20, 2011

Questionable Motives Part 2

Yesterday's blog just flowed out of me. That was great! What was even greater than that, was the confirmation I received during my morning quiet time and devotions, that what I said was on point. Yesterday, I challenged you to examine your motives. I encouraged you to make sure that the reasons you do what you do or say what you say or think what you think were edifying to Christ. Remember, only what you do for Christ will last.

This is what got me excited enough to share.....I am reading my devotions and the author points out that we bring harm to God when our motives and priorities aren't to please Him. Can you believe that? Harm! I am sure none of us ever wakes up thinking about bringing harm to God. After all, He has all power yet He gave us free will. Then I read another devotion and lo and behold it gave me this verse  to further confirm the fact that when our motives are wrong, we do bring harm to God. Matthew 12:30(NLT) states, "Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me." 

That is a very powerful statement. In other words, we need to let God handle His own business. There is no need for us to manipulate a situation with wrong motives. We need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through us to accomplish His will.  So today's question is, Do you really want to bring harm to God? I don't think so. So that being said, again, I challenge you to check your motives. Not only can you bring harm to God but you probably will end up bringing harm to yourself. Till next time, examine yourself. Peace!

Copyright January 20, 2011 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. I am the world's WORST at tryingto "help God out" when stuff happens to me. Like He can't do it on His own and really needs my help. I have been working on that. Its hard though especially when you have done it your whole life, but its getting better. I am trying to get better. Tyring to see where He leads me and wants me to go. Making sure that I have no alterior motives in mind.

    You know I love reading your blogs, makes me think!!

    ReplyDelete