Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Questionable Motives

Have you ever heard the saying that only what you do for Christ will last? Have you ever really thought about the true meaning of that? If you really ponder that, it is DEEP. All your actions, thoughts, words, and deeds are pretty much worthless unless they were to edify Christ. Wow! Huh? The mere thought made me think that we should always be mindful of our true motives for the things we say and do(on the outside and in our minds).

As we journey through the New Year, let me challenge you to really think about why you do the things you do. Are you doing them for self gratification? Are you doing things to please others?  Perhaps you do things to prove a point or to manipulate a situation. Or are you doing them because they have eternal value? I know many of us act quite a bit without thinking. Others really do have some type of agenda. It would certainly be lovely if everyone had a Christ agenda. You would not question their motives because there would be none, other than to please Christ.

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about why people do what they do? I think a lot about why I do the things I do. All of my actions are not to please Christ but I do desire to be more and more like Him each day. It is very challenging because of course I can't control all the variables. I can't pre-determine how people will act or re-act, nor can I control what they think or say. I can control my thoughts, words, and actions. It is a daily challenge for me to take my eyes off of the people that I deal with and try to please Christ. Satan is definitely not wanting that to happen. Already, it seems as if he is throwing darts at me from every angle. Well, I may not be victorious every day but I will not give up nor will I give in.

Sometimes you just know what you know. I know this is going to be a good year for me. Something in my spirit is telling me that. I have begun the year in a positive frame of mind. I have begun with a strong desire to grow in my RELATIONSHIP with Christ. To accomplish this, I must invest my time and energy in developing the relationship with God. I have great friends and family in my life who hold me accountable and encourage me in my walk. I hope you do too. I am examining my motives and trying to stay true to the Christian woman that I am supposed to be. I am staying prayed up and I have enough sense to call on other prayer warriors when I have no words. I want to please God and I want to leave a legacy that has eternal value. I hope you think about that in terms of your own motivation. Wouldn't it be a shame to have lived a whole life and it have no value in eternity? Till next time...be blessed and be a blessing!

Copyright January 20, 2011 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment