Friday, December 17, 2010

Tis The Season

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all well. I have been missing in action but I kept thinking, "I need to post a blog." Well I have been tired and unmotivated. As is the norm, I have millions of thoughts in my head fighting to be put into print. To bad, I can't type from my head. Anyhoo, it really is my favorite time of year. I absolutely love Christmas. Yesterday, God even blessed our area with a little snow(and the kids got an unnecessary snow day, today).

I love the Christmas season. I am most happy when I focus on Christ, not the mundane activity and busyness of the holiday. If you read my last blog, which was a great guest spot by my dear friend, Tracie, you would understand why I loved it enough to post it. For some reason, it is difficult to keep Christmas simple. People and advertisers make it complicated. Well this year, my joy for the season seems less bright than in the past. I have been pondering on the reason why.

Christmas is about Christ. It is a holiday that celebrates the birth of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. When we reflect on the original Christmas story, there is no busyness and things are simple. Joy is present too. Mary and Joseph were together and they had no place to stay. Mary didn't complain about having to birth her special gift in a manger with animals on a bed of hay. We are complaining about the cold(or the bills, or the children). The Three Wise Men were just happy to travel the roads to behold the newborn King and present him with their gifts. I am guilty of complaining and so are many of you.

We forget that on our worst day, we are still so very blessed. I am guilty of thinking about the perfect gift for this person or that. Today, as I type, I have done little shopping but lots of stressing. Would people be mad if I didn't get them anything? The reality is that some folks would. I am beginning to think that all gifts should have to come with a note about why you bought the gift and an explanation of what the recipient means to you. It would go something like this...."Mom, I bought this gift for you because love you so much and without the sacrifices you made for me, I wouldn't be the woman I am today." or "DJ, I gave you this game because the empathy you have for others, has made me more sensitive to others." Wouldn't that be awesome?!?

Giving is what the season is about. We need to remember this all year long. There are organizations that need food, clothes, and volunteers all year long. As a parent, I am extremely conscious of the fact that my children have way more than they need. It is important for me to impress upon them that there are children who are not as fortunate as they are. It is not their reality. I want them to have a heart to serve and bless others with their resources, time, and talent. All giving is not material.

This is not quite what I thought I was going to write so I guess this is the message God wanted me to impart....Jesus is the reason for the season. Have you taken any moments out of the past month to reflect on the grace and mercy of God? A new year is coming quickly. When I reflect on 2010, I can see that God has remained faithful even when I lost my focus on Him. He has protected me and kept me. He has given me peace in the midst of marital storms and parental storms. He has provided all of my needs and many of my wants. He has put people in my life who validate me, encourage me, and admonish me. He has given me the gift of health, creativity and love. I could go on and on, but this I know to be true, Christmas can be a joyous time of celebration and all kinds of other things but if you haven't put Christ into any of it, it really is pointless.

So a week before Christmas, I ask, where is your focus? Has Christ been at the center of any of your holiday activity? If you have been running around to mall after mall, and store after store, searching for this or that for this person and that, SLOW DOWN. No! Just stop! Meditate on where you were a year ago and where you are now. A lot has happened, correct? Yep, I know! Don't you just become overwhelmed by just the small minute blessings in your life? It is mind blowing, huh? God has been good to you. I know He's been all that and a bag of chips to me. Give Him the praise and honor He deserves. Look at your nativity set and really focus  the real CHRISTmas Story. Do the gifts matter? Not really. People do though. Have you smiled at your elderly neighbor or offered to run an errand? Maybe he just needs an unhurried conversation to brighten his day. Have you offered the single mom with four kids a few hours of babysitting so she can get somethings done? Have you given away a coat or any gently used clothing so someone can be warm this winter. Well what are you waiting for? The best gifts are those that cost us little or no money. The gift of God in us goes a long way. Till next time remember, without Christ, there really would be no Christmas!!!!

Copyright on December 17, 201 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment