Friday, December 31, 2010

Hope Rings Anew!

This is the last day of 2010! Can you believe it? As I watched the "Year in Review" segments on many television shows, I was blown away by how much actually happens in a 365 day period. Some things triumphant and some things tragic and a little of everything in between. Personally, each of us has faced highs and lows, created memories, and reached milestones. Isn't it amazing that God already knew the outcome of every situation and all of the small (and large) details? No matter how surprised we were by anything that occurred this year, God was not.


I am happy to see the year come to a close. I admit that I have been blessed in big ways and small. However, when I reflect on the year, I struggled a lot. I struggled as a wife and a mother. I struggled with attitudes and finances. I struggled with my inability to change some situations that God was probably using to build my character. I could go on and on but I refuse to complain. I know any and all of you can relate. There is good and bad in all of our lives and sometimes it is easier to bear than others. For me, I am embracing the promise of a New Year. I am not really making resolutions. I always have a challenge going on in my head and I always purpose to live it out. If you read my blogs enough, you can probably figure out my goals for the year.


A New Year brings hope and promise. It brings a fresh perspective. It creates another opportunity to grow and change, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. Resolutions or none, we all have something we want to see manifested in the promise of what "NEW" brings. We are not satisfied with the monotony of life; there is a change to be made somewhere be it in our relationships with God or others, or in our career or in our dysfunctional family. Change is always sought. Sometimes the changes are disappointing and sometimes they are more than we expected. Funny thing about change is this, we never stop expecting it no matter what it brings.


So as we send 2010 packing and welcome 2011, I hope you can reflect on the past and embrace the future. I hope that you can leave the baggage of 2010 behind and begin 2011 afresh and anew. You can choose your purpose and attitude for the year to come. It takes dedication and determination. It also takes the ability to try again if you happen to fail. Baby steps folks, baby steps.


My friend, Tracie, has challenged her friends to find a word for 2011 and let it be the focus for the year. I think my word is going to be contentment. It is a good choice but will probably be more difficult to live out than I think. We live in a world where we always think we need more and deserve more. I Timothy 6-8(NIV) states, " But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." Having read that verse, I note that in order to be content, I also need godliness. So I guess my work is cut out for me. I am thinking that if I work on the godly part, the contentment will come a little easier. I will keep you posted on my journey! Prayerfully, when I get to the year end reflection on 2011, I will have been successful in both arenas.


What about you? Where are you as we close out this year? Have you made up your mind about how you want to begin the New Year? It really is a good time to take stock of the past(hurts, pains, trials, and tribulations) and renew your vision for the future. I wish you the best of the best for the year to come. I hope you reach your goals. I hope you change for the better, I hope you learn to trust God more. I hope you choose to see the good in those around you! Finally, I hope that you purpose in your heart to bless someone else this year with your time, talent, or resources. That sense of charity will instill in you a feeling of hope and give you a new perspective. Be safe everyone! Thanks for allowing me into your lives. Till next year! Enjoy the rest of 2010 and let's make 2011 the best one yet! Happy New Year to you and yours!


Copyright December 31, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent blog my friend..! I love your transparency, honesty and challenge. Again, you have a God-given gift with the pen..I pray you use it to continue to bring Him glory in 2011. Thank you for sharing your life with me in 2010, and I look forward and anticipate with great excitement the many blessings we will share through our friendship in 2011.

    ReplyDelete