Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Race Card

Dorna has another opinion to share.....again, your feedback is welcome. She highlights a much discussed topic....race in America. It is a significant issue, but mainstream America is loathe to really deal with it honestly. I have an opinion about this subject but I have not completed my blog on the subject. I want to deliver a candid piece that doesn't come off angry and bitter. So eventually, you all will see it, but not now. Anyway, Here is Dorna's opinion on the matter. Have a good weekend!!

Over the years I’ve seen events blown out of proportion because the “race card” is played. Unfortunately, a lot of times the issue of race/color is injected inappropriately and skews the real issue and dynamics of a solution. But recently I have begun to realize that as much as I would like to see the world with rose colored glasses, race is a HUGE factor in the majority of situations.
For those who don’t know me, let me give you some background on Dorna. I am an African-American who grew up in Gary, IN. Unbeknownst to me, Gary was actually a segregated city, it just wasn't apparent to me. I went to an all Black elementary school from 2nd through 6th grades. I went to a predominately White middle school across town for a “better” education where I was usually the only black or 1 of maybe 4 at the most. I went to a private even more predominately White school for 2 years and then back to public school, again predominately White. I went to a HBCU for college where only 1 white student matriculated. Each time I landed in a new environment I made friends; accepting all regardless of color as people who were like me…fun! These experiences formed one of the major tenets of my life and I tell my daughter this regularly, good people and idiots come in all colors. I have friends of all backgrounds and hue which is exactly how I like it!

After college, I moved to the DC area and worked with a diverse population and really didn’t think much on the matter of race. I married and settled in Northern Virginia living in predominately white neighborhoods. Again I made many friends and enjoyed fulfilling relationships. Approximately 5 years ago I moved to Southwest GA and subsequently Atlanta, Georgia. OMG…Can you say CULTURE SHOCK?!!! It became pretty apparent rather quickly things were very different in GA. The racial divide was more like an abyss!! Every day I was reminded of my color from Whites and Blacks; there were no other minorities in SW GA. Atlanta has not proven to be much different, but there are other minorities to be seen.

My racial experience since living in Georgia has really made me rethink how people see me, how I see myself and how I interact with people. I’ve always known that I’m Black, but that was not what defined me. When things didn’t work out or I had an issue with someone, I didn't play the "race card"; being Black was the last thing on my list as the reason. I defined myself as Dorna who happens to be a Black person, but now I’m a Black person named Dorna. I haven’t totally decided if this is a good change but what I do know is, we have not come as far as we would like to think regarding race; and racism is alive and well in these United States!!

I still think diversity is the best option in terms of interaction for me, but I’m more cognizant of how peoples’ thought processes regarding me and the world are formed. I can see a little clearer some of the hidden agendas that keep minorities in situations of disadvantage and oppression. I see how Civil Rights and Affirmative Action have not “leveled” the playing field; but have muddied it. We ALL have biases and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. The only way to eradicate racism is true change in mind sets and perceptions. Racism is a very deep pervasive issue that unless openly and candidly addressed, will never be resolved. It is more apparent to me than ever since Barack Obama was elected the “race card” is seriously in play. From criticism that has been leveled against him in rude divisive tirades to assassination threats that are so cavalierly issued. Don’t get me wrong, I have issues with some of Barack’s policies, but I have had issues with all of the presidents with the exception of Jimmy Carter. For the record, I was going to vote for Hillary Clinton and went out of my way not to look at Obama’s color as a factor for my candidate. But I have to say, once he was elected, I was happy a Black man had finally made it to the White House. And not just any Black man but one who I could relate to; strong, intelligent, and innovative with a middle class upbringing and diverse connections. He and his family (immediate & extended) epitomize the “melting pot” that is supposed to be America.

I pray now for true equality for all and real dialogue that breaks down barriers. I pray I make a difference by my behavior and interaction with everyone. I pray one day, we will all be free and truly love thy neighbors as Christ loves us!!


Copyright April 10, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment