Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Diva Dialogue VI

I guess you can see I still have a lot of things floating around in my head and as usual, they are dying to escape. So here I go on yet another random number of things to think about. By the way, today I began my new gig. First day with a government agency = PAPERWORK, PAPERWORK, and more PAPERWORK! So basically, I can't tell you anything about what I'm really going to be doing. As is the case in any training class, you can quickly determine who is bright and whose light bulb is rather dim. You can also tell who the rule breakers are and who the rule followers are. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I have nothing to hide but I am extremely annoyed and defensive when my privacy is violated. Yes, I know that is completely random! I simply needed to get it off my chest. That said, those who seek, find. When you find, how do you proceed? I'm just curious! I have my own ideas but I'm asking for opinions.

Shout out to Mo'nique on winning the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Precious. Which brings me to my next subject. Do you watch her talk show which airs on BET? What do you think of it? I watch her upon occasion. I always check to see who will be on Mo'nique's show whether I am planning to watch or not. So naturally I noticed the lack of non-colored individuals on the guest list. I am wondering if she can continue to maintain a show by only having African American celebrities grace her stage. Robin Thicke is the only person I've seen who is not of the African American persuasion. His music has crossed over and appeals by and large to us. His wife, actress Paula Patton is African American. Now we all know that wouldn't happen if she was on any other network. I'm just saying!


Another topic that I have on my mind is Republican National Committee Chairman, Michael Steele. What do you think of him and his role in the RNC? Do you think he has what it takes to carry the party forward? Do you think he has the ability to draw more African Americans to engage in the Republican party? My belief is that he was selected to do just that. Unfortunately, his press is not all that great. He has made several mis-appointed statements and appears to be engaged in war over control of the GOP with Rush Limbaugh, who is quite vocal about his desire to see our President fail immensely. Steele is currently embroiled in a battle with his own party over his lavish spending habits. Some think he should step down because he is eroding confidence in the party at a time when they need to focus on mid-term elections. My personal thought is that he is trying really hard to make a name for himself. I think he has serious political aspirations but he does not have the charisma or mental savvy to garner the support needed for any of the offices that he's aspiring to. SN: I am not calling the man dumb. I just think he needs to mature and refocus. Do you agree or disagree?

Sarah Palin is another who could benefit from maturity. Education and exposure to people who think less like her would also be of benefit to her. Clearly, she is out to make a name for herself. Let's face it, anyone with any ounce of sense knows that allowing Sarah Palin to have any power would be a grave mistake. She is good for rallying a crowd and delivering a few choice soundbites but that is the extent of her ability. She has become the face of the Tea Party but if they want to move forward they are going to need a more intellectually stimulating leader who appeals to a broader spectrum of people. As you can tell by any of my previous posts, I am not a fan. I think the GOP made a huge error when they selected her as John McCain's running mate. They failed to do their homework and she diminished the chances of a GOP victory.

Honestly, both parties need to work on attracting different groups of people to their side. Palin was to appeal to the women like Michael Steele was to appeal to African Americans. Neither was effective. Politicians need to learn to really represent their constituents. we as voters, need to demand this. We can't be complacent. America needs change in a lot of areas. We need to improve the way that we educate our children and care for our elderly. We need financial reform. We need to find ways to do work cheaper so that we can stop sending our work out to third world countries. We need to take better care of our poor and homeless. Yes, we have a responsibility to be neighborly and charitable but my mama taught me that charity begins at home. We are not doing so well taking care of home. We need to find a way to deal with immigration in a real and viable way. We can't allow anything that looks like racial profiling to occur. America can't handle it any other way. There are always those who feel entitled and more privileged than others and equity tends to go out the window. If you aren't a minority, this probably is not your reality. I could go on but this is a start. We can't allow Senate or Congress to say "NO!" just to further their party's interests. We have to demand and require them to vote the agendas that further the people they represent. I am a firm believer that no politician should be able to make a lifetime career out of that position. I think I mentioned the same thing about Supreme Court Justices. 12 years maximum for every one of them and goodness can we please set some age limits.

Okay that is it. I don't plan to do another Diva Dialogue for a bit. I could be wrong! Bear with me! I am working through a parenting blog and a blog on the damage done in the church as well as jealousy. I have a friendship blog in my head too. Soooo, great things ahead. For now, I gotta go. I gotta get up in the morning cause I gotta J-O-B! Plus, I need to work out too. Til next time, smile because on your worst day, it is better than someone else's best day. If you can't smile, then pray! Peace and love!

Copyright April 27, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

2 comments:

  1. Odd that you ar working on a blog about jealousy.. I have been thinking about that al day long b/c of something that hapopened and trying to figure out where to go with it for my blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealousy just keeps rearing its ugly head and I hate it. We will see where God leads me. BTW-Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete