Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



Tomorrow we celebrate Mothers as we do every second Sunday in May. It is fitting that I honor the woman who made me who I am. Ernestine B. Cole, this post is for you. I just want to let you know that I love you and cherish our relationship. Who'd a thunk that we'd become such great friends who respect and admire each other so much? At 15 and 16, I couldn't see that this would be our existence. I know I gave you the hardest time and I wasn't even a wild child. You did your best and I think Gerald and I turned out to be great individuals.

You instilled in us the greatest values and character traits. I am grateful for the time you invested playing Scrabble, which is both Gerald and my favorite game to this day, baking cookies(I still love those darn Nestle's Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies), and doing the regular things that good mommies do. I appreciate the fact that though divorced from my dad(RIP), you never bashed him but let us determine our own feelings for him ourselves.

We are not the same, but each day, I realize how much more like you that I am becoming. Funny as a kid, we think we never want to be like our parents but alas, one day we look up and it is exactly who we've become. I only pray that I took the bests parts of what you taught me to instill in Chanté and DJ. I just wish they had the opportunity to grow up closer to you. I really enjoyed living next door to Nanno and Grandpa(RIP). The experience was priceless. I took it for granted but now I see how important and how much of an impact it was to have as much as your village around you as possible. They filled a void and stood in the gap when you needed a helping hand.

Mom, there is a lot that I could say but you know how I feel. You gave me the gift of life and for that alone I love you. You taught me to be be independent as well as how to be a survivor. You taught me the importance of being a good communicator and the gift of encouraging other people. You made the necessary sacrifices to invest quality time in our relationship. Though there were ups and there were downs, we came through it all. As an adult, I am glad to call you a friend. You are still a woman that I admire and respect. You don't meet a person you will not remember and your gift of gab always shines through. You come from strong stock and I know that has been given to me.

Though time and distance, as well as life responsibilities keep us apart, I know that I can always call on you and that you will always be here for me. Whether I need an ear to listen or little advice to get by, I know that I can count on you. We've weathered some storms and there is no other person with whom I can let my hair down and just be me. I like that you don't pry into my marriage or criticize my parenting skills. You uplift and encourage every step of the way. Continue to be the sweet spirit that you are. I know you've sacrificed much and sometimes received little in return. God will honor and bless you! With all my love and from my heart to yours, Mommy, I salute you! I hope you have the bet day ever. You deserve it. I know the best gift of all is if we were all there to celebrate it with you.

I can't do a Mother's Day post without giving a shout out to my Grandmother, Nanno. Without her, none of us would be who we are. She is a proud woman with a quiet reserve. She is humble and giving and she is full of wisdom. She has borne hurts and stresses without becoming downtrodden or mean spirited. I love her as much as I love my mother. She values her dysfunctional family and she wants us to be aware of our family history. She definitely embraces ambition and independence Happy Mother's Day, Nanno. I love you too!

To the Mothers to be, start praying now for wisdom and throw all your preconceived notions out of the window. A new baby will teach you more about yourself than you will teach them in the beginning. To all the Mothers, Grandmothers, Godmothers, aunts, sisters, step moms, mother in laws, sisters, cousins, foster moms, teachers, and moms by default may you continue to nurture and encourage the children entrusted to you. This generation needs every single one of you and then some. God bless you all and have a relaxing Mother's Day!

Copyright May 8, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment