Thursday, May 27, 2010

Self Speak

Today, I read a devotional and it spoke to speaking truth to self. Wow! I thought about the things that run through my mind and I was really convicted. So many times the messages that play in our head are so very contrary to God's Word. It really is important to know the Word of God and let it become more than head knowledge. It needs to be come heart knowledge too.

We get bombarded by so many messages from so many places. We have well meaning friends giving solicited and unsolicited advice. We have the media shaping our thoughts and then we have our own thoughts, based on our life experiences. All the messages serve a purpose but many of them probably leave us a bit confused. So how do we know which ones are accurate? Well I'm convinced that we have to see if they line up with the Word of God. Did God say that or did it come form somewhere else?

I am a constant thinker and sometimes, that is NOT a good thing. My thoughts run wild at any given moment. Often, I find myself thinking something and wonder where the thought came from. The longer I meditate on it, it becomes real. Therein lies a problem. When I am doubting myself, I really need to be thinking that "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (ref: Psalm 139:14) When I am worried or in need, I should be "asking, seeking, and knocking." (ref: Matt 7:7-8). The list goes on and on.

So what is the real lesson in this? The directive is clear. Measure your thought life up against the truth of God. Once you do that, you will have no choice but to change the tune. Why, you might ask. II Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." (NKJV) God has given His Word to correct and instruct us so that we might be complete. He wants us to be whole and He wants us to be prepared for the purpose that He has for us.


This is a daily challenge for everyone and I am no exception. I know God wants us to rely on His truths. He doesn't want us to give in to the false messages that we are bombarded with. Child of God, listen to Your Daddy. He wants the best for you! Don't let the mess you may have been feeding yourself for years keep you from moving forward. Post notes in your bathroom. Speak truth to yourself and others. Choose positivity over negativity. Take it one day at a time. Whatever you do, keep your thought life lined up with God's word and things will change, not only in your mind but also in your life. It can happen one thought at a time. Till next time, peace and blessings!

Copyright May 27, 2010 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment