Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Disappointed but Not in Despair

As the year comes to a close, I like most people begin to look back over the past year and think about how the next one will be different. No resolutions but changes nonetheless. As I review 2012, the over riding feeling that pops up for me is disappointment. Let me just say that although disappointment had a front row seat in my life, I am still blessed, even on my worse day. God has kept me sane when I really wanted to go crazy and given me peace in difficult storms. I am healthy, clothed, and fed. I have a wonderful family and friends who can ride out some of those storms. I can pray and I can read my Bible publicly. I am of sound mind and sound body. I am alive.

The blessing list could go on but in the simplicity of the things I chose to list, I know there are a great deal of people who can't say all of those things today. This blog is not a compliant, it is a reminder that while every season can't be rosy, God still sits on the throne and orders our steps. In other words, there is still hope.

Initially, I was going to discuss the things that added to my disappointment but as I type this, I feel like God wants me to go in a different directions. I need you each to know that while times may be difficult, you are not to give up nor are you to give in. We were never promised a trouble free life, yet we are to find joy in ALL circumstances. James 1:2 (NIV): "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." We can't put our hopes or dreams in man because they are frail and weak and sinful. They will fail us. They won't respond to us the way we want. They won't make us happy, in some cases, they will even hurt you deeply. Psalm 20:7(NIV) says, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." We can depend on God to get us through the most disappointing moments in our lives.

In my life, I have learned that disappointments really do make us stronger. They key is not to let those things that hurt us break our spirits. I think the key to that is to to forgive and move on. Failing to do so. makes you bitter, angry, and resentful. Who wants to spend their life being any of those things? I used to always say, "If you have no expectations, there will be no disappointments." That was when I was young and idealistic. As I  have grown and matured, I realize that you can't help but have certain standards and expectations for those people in your life whom you value-spouses, parents, children, close friends and family. Unfortunately, everyone has not been raised to value the same things, some haven't been raised to value people, or even themselves. Hurting people hurt people whether it is deserved or not.

As I anticipate what my future holds in 2013, I look to the New Year with hope. I hope that things will be different, in a good way. I hope my children will make wise decisions. I hope that my spouse will love me unconditionally and communicate better. I hope that my friends will support me. I hope that there are no tragedies that bring a nation to its knees. I hope our President will be respected as the Leader of this Nation. I hope my blog gets new followers. I hope I remain happy, healthy, and at peace. I hope my relationship and dependence on God grows infinitely. I hope I have encouraged you to hope when you really have no hope. This list can also go on but at year end, please take a moment to be thankful for what you do have, focus on the positives. Even in disappointment, there is hope.

I wish each of you reading this blog, the hope of a bright and prosperous New Year filled with God's best and bounteous blessings. Hope really does spring eternal! May you find peace and victory and especially hope in every storm of life that you encounter in the coming days and year. Be blessed but more importantly, be a blessing!!!

In Diva Hope,

Pam

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. Dissapointments is a part of life and I chose to grow from them. I only hope that 2013 will be better than what we left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this. I too have had some disappointments this year and it can be hard to be hopeful for change. But I make a decision to do so regardless.

    Stopping by showing some BLM love!

    ReplyDelete