Sunday, December 31, 2017

Reflections of a year Gone By/e

December 31st is here! 2017 flew by. What a strange, crazy, chaotic year it was. When I look back and reflect on all that happened, my overall characterization is disappointment. I feel like I was waiting for something great to happen....and it never did. Perhaps it’s why I feel antsy and restless going into the New Year. 

Despite the sense of disappointment I feel, I’m positive that 2018 will be better. On one hand, our state of affairs can’t possibly get any worse. We have a narcissistic POTUS who has major issues, people don’t trust police, and we still haven’t put race or religion in proper perspective in the United States. On the other, God remains in control and our job is to remain faithful and trust His plan. 

I don’t set New Year’s resolutions. I make up my mind to make personal changes and I do my best to make them a reality. This year, most of my closest friends as well as myself, will hopefully celebrate 50 year’s of life. My focus for this milestone is TRUTH. I am choosing to share this one because I am expecting miraculous things to happen for those in my circle and myself. So about truth....My plan is to walk in His truth, speak the truth (in love). and live my truth.

 For me that is being honest about everything. It means that sometimes my reality is not all good. There are real low days and moments and I’m not always my best self, no matter how hard I try. It means my finances are crappy and I can’t go out for lunch/dinner/drinks. It means that despite being popular and extroverted, sometimes I feel lonely. It also means that most days are fairly good. I am beyond blessed and feel guilty about complaining. I have a place to live, food on my table, and a job that covers most of my bills. I’m healthy but feeling the effects of being almost 50-those bones creak y’all! More importantly, I have a relationship with Jesus. My faith keeps me going on the days I forget exactly how blessed I am. 

Yesterday, my Facebook status reminded my family and friend to choose themselves. You have a right to choose YOU! I’m not saying to be selfish or dismissive of others. I am encouraging you to chose yourself over toxic relationships and situations. Choose to say no or maybe, instead of getting caught up in a vicious cycle of busyness. Remember, sometimes good is the enemy of best. If you don’t protect your spirit, no one else will. Walking alone is better than walking in a crowd that is negative and drains your energy. 

No year is complete without me reviewing my circle. I make a mental note of who poured unto my life and spirit and who didn’t. Friendships work both ways. The older you get the smaller the circle gets. You may not fight with a friend but you may wake up one day and find that you simply aren’t in the same season or that your interests no longer align. No drama, just a natural parting of ways. Learn to be okay with that. I certainly have. It also makes you take a good look st yourself...do you add value or are you just there for the ride? 

Self reflection is hard for a lot of people. But living your truth will make you take a good hard look at yourself. I’m no different. I felt like I was in a rut this year. I am going to have to make some things happen for 2018. Life is short and I need to make sure that I’m “getting busy living.”  I want to make sure that my circle knows without a doubt that I love them. I want to be present for the special moments. I want to pour not drain. I want to be close to God and hear His still small voice guiding me every step of the way. That requires surrender, obedience, and a yielded heart. 

That’s my reflection. What’s yours? Are you choosing you? Are you walking in your truth? Was 2017 good to you or are you happy to see it end? What are you expecting for 2018?  My hope for you is that God will bless you abundantly. If you are lacking a relationship with Him, take time to trust Him with your everything.  His promises are true and His love never fails. I hope that at the end of 2018, you have made a difference and accomplished much. This is the time. New beginnings, new you! It’s never to late or early to make a fresh start. 

May 2018 be your best year ever! Happy New Year to you and yours! God bless your endeavors and may you prosper. Thanks for reading my blog. Take time to comment. Be strong! Be fearless! Be intentional! Most of all, walk in your truth and choose you! 

In Diva Love,

Pamela 🥂❤️🙏🏽

1 comment: