Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama is Finally Dead

Last night Pres. Obama announced that Osama Bin Ladin had been killed by US Navy Seals. What a whirlwind of images floated through my mind and another torrent of emotions surged in my heart. Wow! After 10 long years, where most American were confident bin Ladin would never ever be caught, the master of hide and seek was found and killed in a mansion in Pakistan. So many thoughts floated through my mind. I had gone downstairs to make a sandwich and came up to find my husband watching his favorite station, CNN. He quickly advised me that something BIG was happening but had no clue what. I stated, "maybe they caught and killed bin Ladin" in jest. He looked at me like I was crazy said that he thought it would be something to do with Libya. Moments later it was confirmed that I was actually on point. I patted myself on the back and waited with bated breathe for the President to appear and make the formal annpouncement.

As we waited, I reflected on that fateful day in September. I prayed that the families of the victims would feel some type of relief and closure. You can't minimize their loss and you definetely sympathize with their grief and pain. I pictured then Pres. Bush saying that we would seek justice. I thought about all the troops that fight tirelessly. I had a realization that there may be retaliation, so the troops are probably no closer to coming home. I prayed for their families, too. I prayed for the Obama family. Running this country can't be an easy task and of late I feel the public has made a mockery of the position. We are going to see all kinds of fallout from this one event. Some of it will be good and some of it will be tragic. What I am waiting for is to see how we proceed in our dealings with Pakistan. That is a very fragile relationship right now.

What I know is this, God is in control. He blesses in the midst of messes. We should all feel good about our country and pray for our leadership. Our daily security is threatened in ways we never know. There is another Osama bin Ladin who is already trained for the next task. We must be sober and vigilant. Yes we must always have hope. Only God knows why things have been orchestrated this way and we have to trust that His plan really is good.

I initially was gonna write about the White House Correspondent's Dinner. Obama and Seth Myers took it to Trump. We know he will be asking to see the body and wanting to check the DNA for himself to assure that Osama is dead. Let's face it, after waiting 10 years, we all need some proof. It is just the nature of the beast. Here's what I like about how things played out.....Yes, Obama dogged Trump. He deserved it. It was a classy way to get a Southside Chicago beatdown without throwing a blow. It was triumphant that the Pres pre-empted Trump's show the next night at what I know to be a pivotal moment. He interrupted the show and then arrived on CP(for my Caucasian friends, that's Colored People's) time to show that he can be gangsta if he has to. Tee hee hee. He delivered a clear concise message to the American public.

The Americans cheering outside the White House made me reflective. Was it really a moment to cheer? Would justice have been better served if bin Ladin had to meet a judge and jury? How were the families of the 9/11 victims going to feel? Hope or hype? Are we any safer? Are the troops going to come home any time soon? Only time will tell how things will play out. God bless America!!

Copyright by Pamela Cole Thorpe on May 2, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I understand that many people waited for that day to come but to me the cheering was a bit too much. It was definitely a time to reflect on the past as well as pray for our country and those who work tirelessly to defend us.

    ReplyDelete