Saturday, February 19, 2011

Diva Dialogue-February 2011

Hey Everybody! I was simply missing you all. I have a million and one things floating in my head and not enough time to get them on blog. Just wanted to give you all a shout out on this lovely President's Day weekend. I wish I was attending the NBA All-Star festivities. It just looks like fun. I love the three point shoot out and the Slam Dunk contest.

This week has been a busy one for me but I need to show my loyal readers some love. I hope that you had a great week and your Valentine was good to you. That said, wouldn't you all rather your Boo show that love 365 days a year instead of making some restaurant and Hallmark that much richer? As I get older, I realize that these BS holidays give folks an excuse to do what they should be doing all  along. Roland S. Martin had the best rules for V day if you follow him on FB or Twitter. The brother had me rolling. Even better than that were his Super Bowl rules. If you can find them, they will have you howling. Shout out to my favorite woman of all time...Mom, I hope you had a fantastic birthday!

Speaking of Super Bowl....those commercials had to be the worst ever. I am just saying! Unfortunately, my house rooted for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the were NOT victorious. My son is a huge fan as was my dad, may he RIP, so our home was all about the Black and Gold. Personally, I enjoyed the half-time show. The Black-Eyed Peas did the darn thing and showed why they are loved by audiences all over the world. I really wanna check out the Cowboy's stadium. It looks awesome! I am a Dallas Cowboy fan too.

Part of the reason I am MIA here in the blogosphere is that I have a part-time job. A sista is supposed to work 15 hours a week. This past week I worked 33 hours and that is in addition to all my other obligations. It has been 7 years since I worked a full time job. Funny, I found myself wondering how I did that for all those years. Call me spoiled but I am sure God had a reason for wanting women to stay home and take care of things while the husband provided. Not starting a feminist argument or anything but honestly girls, we screwed ourselves demanding all these so called rights.

I have been reading for enrichment and pleasure. One of the books has got me to thinking about race again. It is a subject that always comes up given my surroundings and upbringing. I am dialoguing with several women of all races and backgrounds on a book fraught with race issues and it is interesting to see the conversation play out. The dialogue is occurring on-line. My opinion is this, we are always going to be bound by race issues. America is not prepared to deal with the honest conversations that need to happen and some folks simply can't let go of their intense hatred for those who aren't like them. Having Barack Obama as President does not mean we are through dealing with race issues. In order for real progress to be made, we need real dialogue. Today, we are so limited by political correctness and the need to be tolerant that we simply can't have the discussion. I am not one those who thinks It is the President's responsibility to lead the discussion. He is every one's President and him taking up that cause would allow others to pigeon hole him into being the "Black President who only cared about Black issues." I don't see how we will resolve the issue of race but I don't doubt God. That being said, I think it would take an act of God for the issue to be completely resolved for once and for all.

This year is my 25th class reunion. I plan to attend. Why am I telling you all this? Well, I haven't returned to my Alma mater for a reunion yet. I have promised my classmates that I will show up. I went to a small private school for girls. My graduating class was 68 young women full of promise. It was the largest class that had ever graduated from the school filled with tradition. Our college attendance rate was 100%. I am getting excited. There is no rhyme or reason as to why I haven't attended otherr than it  occurs on the same weekend every year and so does my husband's. It is easier to attend his because Philadelphia is easier to get to. I am not trying to lose weight and look all fly(I already am fabulous), I am simply attending to catch up and have fun!

So that is the long an short of it. I missed you and wanted to holla! I have things to say and I will say them. I can't say that I am taking anything off of my plate so bear with me and be patient. God has my days worked out. I am trying to stay in His will. I hope that you are seeking His plan and purpose for you. Don't be a slave to the opinions of others. Clean out the thought closet. Be a blessing! Till next time!

Copyright February 19, 2011 by Pamela Cole Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment